Thread: iMac Processors

iMac Processors

Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, OS 10.6.8
    iMac Processors
    Would the 3.6 GHz duo-core i5 with the turbo boost have as much processing power as the 2.8 GHz quad-core i5 without the turbo boost?

The reason I ask is because I do not like the glossy screen of the iMac and am looking to run a second monitor. I could get the 21" 3.2 GHz configured with the 3.6 GHz i5 for $1799 which is $300 less than the 27" quad-core i5. That money could be put toward another monitor but I don't want to sacrifice processing power for Lightroom and Photoshop. Any thoughts?

Diane

iMac Processors
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    Why don't you hang on to your wallet for a bit longer... the iMac line of machines are due for a refresh. It's been since July of 2010 when the last iMacs were refreshed. Average refresh schedule has been around 10 months. See this LINK.

If you must buy it now, go for the better 21.5" with an external anti-glare monitor. Or if you have some extra $$ on hand to spend, you might think about getting the 15" MBP with the anti-glare optional display.

iMac Processors

Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, OS 10.6.8
    So, are you saying you think the 3.6 dual-core i5 with turbo boost is better than the 2.8 quad-core i5 without Turbo boost?

Re: Macbook Pro. The 15" gets out of range for my budget because I will need to also get a mouse and keyboard (at least those come with the iMac). I was also under the impression that laptops run a little slower than desktops.

My needs are such that I don't need to get this a.s.a.p. but I was thinking of all that is happening in Japan, that if electronics get in short supply prices are going to start to rise.
    Diane (I love italics)

iMac Processors
    Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    2.8 without would be my bet. 4 real cores is better than 2 virtual ones any day.

iMac Processors
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    My needs are such that I don't need to get this a.s.a.p. but I was thinking of all that is happening in Japan, that if electronics get in short supply prices are going to start to rise.
    I think that's being blown way out of proportion. Most, if not all our electronics and parts do not come from Japan. Japanese labor costs are as high as ours which is why most electronics come from China, Taiwan, Korea, Malaysia, and other Asian countries. The Japanese themselves outsource most of their electronic production to China.

However, the decision about buying now or later is yours to make.

Thread Information