New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

$52 saved: Refurb iMac i5 or New iMac i3?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Phacade

Phacade will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM

So Uncle Sam wasn't as generous as I'd hoped he would be and I didn't get "all that" back this year. No worries, I'm still getting a smokin' iMac! Naturaly I selected the best iMac I can afford, the 21.5" 3.2GHz Intel Core i3, selected my config (which absolutely must include iWork and a full-sized keyboard /w numeric pad) and was ready to rock. I

...but wait, refurb iMac to the rescue!

The 21.5" 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 I'd selected has the 1TB hard drive & the ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512MB, but I discovered a 21.5" 3.60GHz Intel Core i5 refurb for about literally $8 more (after tax) than the new i3. Its got the same 1TB hard drive & the ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512MB, but $8 cheaper and has a faster processor. Almost sounds like a no-brainer.

Almost.

Unfortunately when I add on the requisite iWork ($79) and the full-sized keyboard with numeric pad ($49), am I really ahead? The only difference between the "new" 21.5" 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 iMac and the 21.5" 3.60GHz Intel Core i5 refurbed iMac is the cost of the i3-to-i5 processor upgrade; $180...and I'm paying $128 of that just to get the iWork and must-have full-sized keyboard I'd have otherwise ordered with the i3.

Essentially, it comes down $52 (if I upgraded my i3 to an i5 myself). Is it worth saving $52 to get a refurb over a new iMac (particularly when the refurb could have issues or dings)?

21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac "Sputnik" ■ 12GB Crucial RAM ■ Monsoon flat-panel speakers ■ HP P1006 LaserJet printer ■ Full Keyboard ■ Canoscan 9000F flatbed scanner ■ ...and then of course me (being a narcissist, I consider this to be the most important mod).
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phacade View Post
So Uncle Sam wasn't as generous as I'd hoped he would be and I didn't get "all that" back this year. No worries, I'm still getting a smokin' iMac! Naturaly I selected the best iMac I can afford, the 21.5" 3.2GHz Intel Core i3, selected my config (which absolutely must include iWork and a full-sized keyboard /w numeric pad) and was ready to rock. I

...but wait, refurb iMac to the rescue!

The 21.5" 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 I'd selected has the 1TB hard drive & the ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512MB, but I discovered a 21.5" 3.60GHz Intel Core i5 refurb for about literally $8 more (after tax) than the new i3. Its got the same 1TB hard drive & the ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512MB, but $8 cheaper and has a faster processor. Almost sounds like a no-brainer.

Almost.

Unfortunately when I add on the requisite iWork ($79) and the full-sized keyboard with numeric pad ($49), am I really ahead? The only difference between the "new" 21.5" 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 iMac and the 21.5" 3.60GHz Intel Core i5 refurbed iMac is the cost of the i3-to-i5 processor upgrade; $180...and I'm paying $128 of that just to get the iWork and must-have full-sized keyboard I'd have otherwise ordered with the i3.

Essentially, it comes down $52 (if I upgraded my i3 to an i5 myself). Is it worth saving $52 to get a refurb over a new iMac (particularly when the refurb could have issues or dings)?

Absolutely wouldn't be worth $52 savings to me. Hard to follow (and honestly a little hard to believe) your math. Generally you save at least 10% going the refurb route.
However, I would not buy iWork preinstalled from Apple. You can get it from Amazon for $67, or for that matter, you can buy the individual components from the APP store as you need them (I think $19 each) and you may not need or want Keynote.
Regardless, either of these systems will smoke. Enjoy your new Mac.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Phacade

In plain numbers (price incudes approx tax to Oklahoma):

"New" 21.5" 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 + Applecare + iWork preinstalled = $1,691.78
"Refurb" 21.5" 3.60GHz Intel Core i5 + Applecare only = $1,701.55
"New" 21.5" 3.60GHz Intel Core i5 + Applecare + iWork preinstalled = $1,891.62
"Refurb" 21.5" 3.60GHz Intel Core i5 + Applecare + full-sized keyboard + iWork = $1829.55

21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac "Sputnik" ■ 12GB Crucial RAM ■ Monsoon flat-panel speakers ■ HP P1006 LaserJet printer ■ Full Keyboard ■ Canoscan 9000F flatbed scanner ■ ...and then of course me (being a narcissist, I consider this to be the most important mod).
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I'm having trouble following your math, too.
But in any case, the refurb will not have "issues or dings". It will be indistinguishable from brand new other than the plain box/packaging it comes in.

Keynote, Numbers, and Pages are all $19.99 each in the Mac App Store.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Phacade

The plain numbers, including shipping per Apple's website, speak simply enough:

"New" 21.5" 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 + Applecare + iWork preinstalled = $1,691.78
"Refurb" 21.5" 3.60GHz Intel Core i5 + Applecare only = $1,701.55
"New" 21.5" 3.60GHz Intel Core i5 + Applecare + iWork preinstalled = $1,891.62
"Refurb" 21.5" 3.60GHz Intel Core i5 + Applecare + full-sized keyboard + iWork = $1829.55

My point was that, while I could save a bit of money going with the refurb, by the time I added in the full-size keyboard and iWork, I may not have saved all that much...but what do you think?

QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I would get the refurb 3.6GHz i5 + Applecare + $49 full keyboard (Apple Store under "Mac Accessories"). Then purchase the iWork apps for $19.99 each from Mac App Store after you get the iMac set up (about $10 cheaper than from the Apple Store online). Sell the wireless keyboard that comes with the iMac and recoup some $$. Pricing is very similar between that and the New 3.2GHz i3 with iWork preinstalled.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Phacade

Hmm. I never thought of doing it that way. Good call!

QUOTE Thanks
Phacade

Mods, feel free to close or delete this because...

I just placed my order. Got the 21.5" 3.60GHz Intel Core i5 refurb...its all mine (or will be in probably 5 days or so).

QUOTE Thanks
Postoak

Postoak is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5", 3.33Ghz Intel, 8Gb Ram, 1Tb HD, / White MacBook, 2.4Ghz Intel, 2Gb Ram, 160Gb HD

You made the right decision IMO Phacade. It should rock!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New iMac 2011 | Apple NOOB needs some help! »