New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Need to transfer all images

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dougrugg

dougrugg is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to use the find command to find and move all the images on an external drive onto my Mac Book Pro. Any help would be great. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

In the file menu, select import and navigate to the folder on your external. Far easier though is to open iPhoto and drag the folder over the top, it will import automatically.
Bear in mind both methods will copy the photo;s toyour internal drive and store them in your iPhoto library.
If you don't want that, please say, as the method is more complicated.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
dougrugg

I would rather just mv the photos into a folder. What is more complicated way? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

If you use Spotlight in Finder you can have it display images (I believe by clicking images in sidebar). From there you can drag and drop or copy as you wish.

The iPhoto trick BTW really is the easiest way. Just drag the drive and drop it on iPhoto and let it do the work.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
dougrugg

The Spotlight option does not see the external drive. I'll try the iphoto option
QUOTE Thanks
dougrugg

The iPhoto option does not seem to be working??
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrugg View Post
The iPhoto option does not seem to be working??
Can you access the hard drive using finder to view folders and open files?

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

If you want to store your photo's on the external but view them in iPhoto, your going to have to create a proper iPhoto album on the external drive, but to do that you will still need to import them to iPhoto, and the drag and drop method is by far the easiest.
Can't understand why that won't work at the moment.
Will have to come back to you, or hand over to someone else to advise about storing them on the external.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
dougrugg

OK... Her e is the full story and maybe this will help everyone understand what I'm trying to accomplish. I have a windows drive that crashed and I’m trying to recover just the photos. If I drag and drop the drive into iPhoto, it imports every little icon. This would work for me if I could specify a minimum file size. I thought a good way to get this accomplished was via the terminal with a find command but if there is an easier way… I’ll do that. Thanks
Find /drive –size 1M –exec cp –v /new folder
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrugg View Post
OK... Her e is the full story and maybe this will help everyone understand what I'm trying to accomplish. I have a windows drive that crashed and I’m trying to recover just the photos. If I drag and drop the drive into iPhoto, it imports every little icon. This would work for me if I could specify a minimum file size. I thought a good way to get this accomplished was via the terminal with a find command but if there is an easier way… I’ll do that. Thanks
Find /drive –size 1M –exec cp –v /new folder
There are probably some on this Forum who can tell you a neat command line way to do it. I'm not one of them. I don't know of any non-cludgy ways to do this . . . but here is a cludgy way to take care of the issue.

I am assuming you didn't import all those files but you do have an existing iphoto library that you don't want to mess up. If this isn't the case it will change slightly this procedure.

1) Change the name of your existing iPhoto library to something easy to find and remember. (Do this with Finder while iPhoto isn't running)
2) Start iPhoto. It will discover you don't have an iPhoto Library and offer to create one. Let it.
3) Do the drag and drop thing and import from your windows drive.
4) Create a new Folder on your desktop
5) Drag or export all of the newly imported files into this new Folder
6) Exit iPhoto
7) Have Finder sort the files (images) in your new Folder by size then select and delete all of the trash files (Windows GIFs etc) leaving behind the pictures you care about
8) Delete the iPhoto Library in Finder that you used for the transfer from your windows drive
9) Rename your old iPhoto Library back to iPhoto Library and relaunch iPhoto
10) Drag and drop the Folder containing your sorted and screened photos onto iPhoto and let it import them
11) Trash the Folder, empty the Trash and you are done

Again, this is cludgy, but it does work.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Black text changing to white | I tried to be an Apple expert and need some help. »