New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

how hard is it to change hard drive on imac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jimshady

jimshady is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 13.3 macbook pro 8GB DDR3 500GB 7200 RPM HD also an Imac G4 that sits and collects dust

i might be getting a 24 inch I mac model ID 8,1 with a 320 gb HD i will problably up grade the HD to a 1 or 2 TB HD 7200 rpm is this harder to do then a macbook or is it something you bring it to a tech to do? next question is OWC says i can upgrade to 6 GB ram that would be a 4 gb Module and a 2 GB module apple says to keep the memory even in each slot its got the factory 4 gb of ram now is it worth upgradeing the ram? and can it harm it if I use a 4GB and a 2 gb I do not know much and I am learning everything I know from you guys and so far i have gotten good feed back if there is anything I am missing on these upgrades please let me know it has a 2.8 processor model id is 8,1 and i think but i can be wrong its a late 2007 or early 2008 I am gettting what I think is a good deal on this so any help or suggestions would be helpful thanks jim
QUOTE Thanks
Printerman

Printerman is a jewel in the roughPrinterman is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac10,1, 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 10.8.2, 21.5" screen.

Unless you have a set of industrial strength suction cups, harder than you could possibly imagine. Let your local Apple store do that.

As for your memory

Besides having a hard time reading your question because of the punctuation issues, as far as I understand, it shouldn’t harm your computer, but don’t take my word for that because I’m not quite sure what you’re asking.

-Dylan
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The iMac you're intending to buy is an early 2008 model which can accept a maximum of 6 GB system memory. 1 x 4 GB + 1 x 2 GB modules.

And as Printerman says, changing the hard drive in any iMac is a fairly difficult job as the entire front panel and display must first be removed to access the inside of the machine. You'll need at least two suction cups and a set of torx drivers.

You can do the job yourself by following the instructions given at iFixit: The free repair manual. They also sell the suction cups and torx drivers.
QUOTE Thanks
jimshady

jimshady is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 13.3 macbook pro 8GB DDR3 500GB 7200 RPM HD also an Imac G4 that sits and collects dust

i just got the mac can i do a systym retore with my 2010 macbook pro disks or do i have to use the 10.5 disk that came with it then add a new copy of snow leopard also thanks on the HD advice i think i am going to pay the 95.00 labor to have it installed i was thinking 7200 rpm 1tb any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Used Mac Pro or Current Macbook/iMac | mac mini problems HELP!!!! »