New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Used Mac Pro or Current Macbook/iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac guy

mac guy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook,Mini

Folks,
Grateful for any advice for Mac purchase

Have been offered a 2008 Mac Pro dual 2.8GHz(8 core) + 8GB RAM + 1TB HDD + 320 GB for USD1600 with the option to get the ACD for another USD260

My needs are simple:
1) Always wanted to own a Pro - longevity of the machine as well as the design
2) Internet, MS Office, Watching Video, ITunes - simple apps which will not tax the Pro at all-I know the Pro is overkill

My debate is this:
For the same amt or slightly more I could get a current model iMac, Macbook Pro with similar performance(have used the Everymac Comparator).

My question is which is a better option:

a) used Mac Pro
or
b) Current Mac

Apologies if this is another one of those 'which one is better....' thread but I have searched various forums but I kinda got mixed messages so I though I give it another try by posting my own

Thanks for reading & yr views
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

This is a non-technical answer, more an emotional response if you like.

"You've always wanted to own a Pro". Well here's your chance. Go for it. It's clearly what your heart wants.

Incidentally, should you eventually decide on an iMac, beware, there is a new version imminent.

So my advice, go with your heart. More erudite replies will come from those with much more tech savvy than I have.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

If you buy a Pro you'll also need a monitor, which is unlikely to be as good as that in the iMac.

As you presumably don't need portability then the Macbook doesn't make sense as you're paying for what you don't need with a smaller screen.

I'd say go for the iMac. You've always wanted a Pro - why? Get yourself a new iMac and you'll forget all about ever wanting a Pro.

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Give iMacs a big miss and stick with your idea for a Mac Pro, More upgradeable, take up to 4 hard drives, easier access to memory, upgradeable graphics and PCI-E slots and best of all no minaturized superdrive to fail.

This thread may also help:-

more specific requirements from iMac v.s. Mac Pro

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
mac guy

mac guy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook,Mini

Folks
Thank you for the suggestions/views. Decision time now!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« more specific requirements from iMac v.s. Mac Pro | how hard is it to change hard drive on imac »