New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Mini blank expression?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cor80

Cor80 will become famous soon enough

A few days ago I was on XP (bootcamp) running a few usual programs that require windows to operate. I left the machine running for an hour while I went away.
My son (2 years old) unplugged the extension cable cause he didn't know better...
Now I can't remember if the machine was shutdown or not but when I started up the mini yesterday, I just got the grey screen with the chime, and there after just a black screen...nothing happens then...restarted but nothing helps.

I'm now in the process of trying to find the problem...I'll try safemode tonight but I was wondering if someone might have an idea as what the problem could be and where I might start to fix it.

Any pointers/advice will be much appreciated...I've searched the forum but apart from the safemode option I got no idea what it could be.

2009(early) Mac Mini 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 120GB HDD, Snow Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I would reboot while holding down the OPTION key until you get a list of bootable volumes. If successful, boot into OS X. If successful again, you should probably use Disk Utility or Onyx to verify/repair the disk, though that may not work on a Windows partition. If all checks out, try rebooting back into Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor80 View Post
My son (2 years old) unplugged the extension cable cause he didn't know better...
Power? (Known as extension cord around here.)

If so, yikes! I'd be more concerned about the safety of the setup for the sake of the kid.
QUOTE Thanks
Cor80

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
I would reboot while holding down the OPTION key until you get a list of bootable volumes. If successful, boot into OS X. If successful again, you should probably use Disk Utility or Onyx to verify/repair the disk, though that may not work on a Windows partition. If all checks out, try rebooting back into Windows.
Thanks, I'll try that just now...hope fully it just a temporary glitch.

QUOTE Thanks
Cor80

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Power? (Known as extension cord around here.)

If so, yikes! I'd be more concerned about the safety of the setup for the sake of the kid.
yes, extension "cord" then if you will, on my side of the globe its extension cable...and not as in for tv, but as for power. I always forget about the difference in terminology.

No need for concern, my wife was present, but unaware of any macs on the power.

QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
No need for concern, my wife was present, but unaware of any macs on the power.
Ah! Having Mom around puts one's mind at ease, especially when she's faster than electrical current!
QUOTE Thanks
Cor80

Quote:
Ah! Having Mom around puts one's mind at ease, especially when she's faster than electrical current!
Very funny ,
our plugs or sockets isn't the same as yours, they have safety clips which prevent you from touching the electric bits...and if my 2 year old may for some reason be capable of opening the safety clips which would be difficult task for even me, the mom is there...

if my home was anymore baby proofed, I would not be able to use it...now relax about the safety of my children,
I would worry more about the freakin' leopard that just passed through the field in front of the house.

now where was I, oh yes...I'm fixing the mac.

QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Thanks, I'll try that just now...hope fully it just a temporary glitch.
That's where you were. So, did that work?

About the plugs/sockets (plug or outlet over here) - that's quite interesting. Sounds like a better safety measure that we have over here. We can buy little plastic "fake" plug-in things that are flat on the back of the "plug". These are difficult for a toddler to remove, but quite easy for an older child. I could imagine a persistent tot getting enough practice to be able to remove one.
QUOTE Thanks
Cor80

Quote:
That's where you were. So, did that work?
Well, the funny thing is, when I turned on the mini, it gave the black screen again but after 20secs it started up in xp...I suppose it's due to the power interuption and that bootcamp just wanted to restart in xp cause thats where is was last...Don't know why it didn't want to start the other few times...maybe it just needed a break
Quote:
About the plugs/sockets (plug or outlet over here) - that's quite interesting. Sounds like a better safety measure that we have over here. We can buy little plastic "fake" plug-in things that are flat on the back of the "plug". These are difficult for a toddler to remove, but quite easy for an older child. I could imagine a persistent tot getting enough practice to be able to remove one.
It's a good system and it works. We also got the fake plugs but mine is quite hard to remove, there is a small key with which you take it out but I end up swearing all the time when removing one as they can sit very tight.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Super Drive :( | PowerMac G4 HELP!. »