New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac shuts down by itself

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

freckles

freckles is on a distinguished road

I have a 27" iMac and it has recently started shutting down all by itself. It used to be that I could use it and then when it went into sleep mode it would shut down. But I tried to power it up today and it just shuts right back down. It's less than a year old and I have an appointment at the apple store later today, but I was curious if anyone has had a similar issue. It also starts up really slow. I bought it to replace an older PowerPC G5 and I'm thinking I should have stuck with that.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It could be most anything from overheating to a bad logic board, bad PS, etc. Since you're taking it to the genius bar and it's still under warranty, let them sort it out. The only thing I would advise you to do is make a backup of your hard drive before taking it in. That is, if you can without the machine shutting down.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Old iMac G4 | i've lost 150GB...?!?!?! »