Dual 7200rpm drives in a Mini Server...Heat Issues?
    I've got a Mini Server that I'm using as a HTPC right now, and I wouldn't mind upgrading the two 500GB drives to 750GB for the extra video storage capacity. If I do that, I think I may go with 7200rpm drives but am concerned that they'll produce too much heat.

Does anyone know if that's a legitimate concern? Will the Mini fan be able to dissipate any extra heat generated by the faster drive? WILL there be any extra heat generated by these drives?

Thanks!

Specs:
    -->
    Previous generation mini server I assume? The new mini server runs 7200RPM drives in a smaller chassis and doesn't have a heat problem that I am aware of. I would just make sure to have proper ventilation for the mini and you should be OK.
    13" rMBP 256gb | Mac Mini | 24" ACD | 128GB Verizon iPhone 7 Plus | 128GB iPad Pro LTE | 16GB iPad mini 2 | Gen 7 Nano | Gen 4 iPod Touch | TV1 | TV3 | TV4 | Watch Sport 42mm Space Gray

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
    Previous generation mini server I assume? The new mini server runs 7200RPM drives in a smaller chassis and doesn't have a heat problem that I am aware of. I would just make sure to have proper ventilation for the mini and you should be OK.
    Yes, the previous generation. Late '09. I have a 2010 server model, too, but the older model is the one I want to replace the drives in. It's sitting in the open so ventilation shouldn't be a problem. Guess I'll give it a whirl and run a CPU monitor so I can track the temp.

Thanks, John!

Specs:
    -->
    Good luck with your upgrade. I am getting ready to add a 7200rpm to my mini as well.

On a side note, how is OS X Server? I wanted to get the mini server too but opted for the regular mini to save $$$ and now am wishing I would have gone the other route.
    13" rMBP 256gb | Mac Mini | 24" ACD | 128GB Verizon iPhone 7 Plus | 128GB iPad Pro LTE | 16GB iPad mini 2 | Gen 7 Nano | Gen 4 iPod Touch | TV1 | TV3 | TV4 | Watch Sport 42mm Space Gray

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
    Good luck with your upgrade. I am getting ready to add a 7200rpm to my mini as well.

On a side note, how is OS X Server? I wanted to get the mini server too but opted for the regular mini to save $$$ and now am wishing I would have gone the other route.
    The machine's are GREAT. Love the extra hard drive. Apps and iTunes on one, Video on the other.

I don't really need the server software, though Snow Leopard server is an amazing piece of software. But I don't host websites, mail servers or client access, so it's way overkill for me. I actually blew out the server software and installed SL client on both of mine. They run beautifully.

Thread Information