New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Powermac G5 Quad: Overtemp + Checkstop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

I recently acquired a faulty powermac G5 (the things a beauty, even if its broken )

the problem with it is that these two lights come on, and the fans go crazy. Apparently it boots up occasionally, but i dont want to risk it, its definitely not running right. I mean, i hear the boot chime, but i havent got a hard drive in it so it isnt gonna boot.

i realise this problem could be one of two things: the logic board or the processor, is faulty. but ive been reading up on it and some people have experienced their coolant "gumming up" in the liquid cooled system. (ive cleaned most of the fans extensively and they are all spinning).

so do you reckon i should remove the processor, check for leaks and replace the coolant? or should i just strip the thing out and salvage whats left of it, and build a PC inside it?

cheers.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Sounds like fun. You might hang on a bit and wait for Harry or Nick to reply. They both have experience with working on that machine. Don't salvage it out yet.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

It may well be a beauty but a useless beauty if she won't boot and is dead!

What are the specs of the G5 as there are numerous models. Quad Core 2.7 and 2.4 Dual Cores late 2005 are both liquid cooled using coolant similar to your motor vehicle, and a leak spells death of logic board and processors alas! First question is the perspex wind deflector in position when you remove the side cover? If not this will cause precisely the problem you describe Ron. The if it is a Dual Core have a look at this link for LED diagnosis:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2652?viewlocale=en_US

Keep us posted?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Sounds like fun. You might hang on a bit and wait for Harry or Nick to reply. They both have experience with working on that machine. Don't salvage it out yet.
i agree, my reason for buying it would be as a fun project

for some reason the apple support site is down atm.

ive always placed the wind deflector back on before booting, so its not that.

its a late 05 quad core powermac, with 8gb RAM.

(ive tried rearranging the ram into the correct matched slots and so on so im happy it isnt a ram issue.)

it also looks normal under the "G5" cover: cant see any leakage on the outside. so if there is a leak im guessing it would be internal.

ive already looked up the lights, they mean "CPU Hang" and "CPU overtemp". both indicate replacing the processor or logicboard as the remedies (as the last resort). the thing is - it does boot sometimes, and every time i turn it on i hear the chime, so im thinking its the processor overheating. i dunno. ive also cleared all the fans out. there was a load of gunk in there.

ill upload some photos soon and show you the inside. its a good looking machine, picked it up cheap, now just to get it to do something

appreciate the help for this btw guys.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo on 2011-03-06 at 00.49.jpg (72.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Photo on 2011-03-06 at 00.50.jpg (92.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Photo on 2011-03-06 at 00.50 #2.jpg (108.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Photo on 2011-03-06 at 00.51.jpg (114.1 KB, 44 views)

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Sure sounds like a leak destroying the CPU. Ask baggss how he got on with his:-

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

okay cheers, will do!

QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

if i were to take the processor apart, what would be the tell tale signs of a coolant leak on the cpu?

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Have a look at this Rob:-

PowerMac G5 Coolant Leaks/Repairs

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Mine never showed any signs of coolant leak, otherwise I would have followed the above advice. Over the years of having the heat issue I would occasional lay the machine on its side or upside down immediately after shutting it down looking for a coolant leak I could point out to the Apple folks. Nothing. That's what leads me to believe it was either a paste issue on CPU A or a clog in CPU A's cooling loop.

I suppose I could still call Apple and complain about the issue. Maybe I could get a new MAcPro out of the deal!

QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Have a look at this Rob:-

PowerMac G5 Coolant Leaks/Repairs
wow, now thats some serious leakage.

baggss, what do you mean by paste issue, the thermal grease applied to the top of the CPU?

hopefully some time next week i will have enough time to get the LCS+CPU off. ill keep you updated with what i find, im half expecting there to be a massive rusty lump of metal behind it. im fingers crossed its not, but i really am expecting it now. while i havent had "puddles of coolant" like described in the link above, im still thinking theres something bad behind there.

cheers

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
baggss, what do you mean by paste issue, the thermal grease applied to the top of the CPU?
Yes. There have been issues in the past with this on same Apple models, although not the PM G5s that I know of. I'll eventually take mine apart and see as well. I wonder if once I get it broken down and see whats there if I can still hit Apple up on it if was a coolant leak.

QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

if you get extremely lucky, they might

haha i doubt apple would pay for mine. i have no original discs for it and the serial number isn't registered to me. i dont think it had applecare on it otherwise when the previous owner rang up they wouldnt have told him it would be 600 to fix.

QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

right i have got the video card, all fans, speaker, and half the LCU mounting bolts off (the rest are extremely hard to get to, had to saw an allen key to size to actually get it into the area to unscrew. apple really didnt want you to mess with it.the amount of "warranty pins" on this thing is ridiculous.

QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

right just got the CPU off, still no evidence of any water spillage! the motherboard must be faulty.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Old iMac G4 Running Slowly | Hanging and Turn On Issue »