New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

HELP Please

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stretchphoto

stretchphoto is on a distinguished road

I've been using Macs since 1987 or so but I'm in a bind now that I can't seem to find my way out of.

Long story short - I bought 4 Power PC OS 10.5 Minis off eBay for a multimedia journalism master's thesis project. Three of the machines are flawless, the fourth came without a username or password.

I have 10.6 install disks but no 10.5 disks.

From Carbon Copy Cloner I have both a disk image of one of the good Mini's drives and an exact copy of that same entire hard disk. Both of these are stored on my MacPro. Of course I also have the three other Minis that boot.

In an attempt to get the problem Mini to boot I hooked it up in Terminal Disk mode to my MacPro and trashed the Mini's entire hard drive contents. Possibly a mistake.

Now when I boot the Mini I get either a flashing question mark or, if I hold down the Option/Alt key, two rectangles, one with a curved arrow and one with a straight arrow pointing to the right.

I've tried zapping the PRam, holding down the X key, holding down the C key, etc., etc., ad infinitum.

If anyone can help I'd be very, very grateful.

Thanks so much.

-Stretch

Stretch Photography (stills)
http://VeryStetchy.com (multimedia blog)
StretchPhoto on Vimeo (motion)
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Since 10.6 was never released for PPC hardware, naturally don't expect to be able to use them. I take it none of these came with their original discs? And are you absolutely certain these are all PPC Mac minis????

What you could try doing is connect the "bad" mini to a "good" one using Firewire and boot the "bad" one in target disc mode. Then clone the drive over from the "good" one to the "bad" one.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
clone the drive over from the "good" one to the "bad" one.
thats what i would try first.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
Head_Unit

Head_Unit will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMAc 1.8GHz PowerPC G5, 2GB, 10.5.8

Yeah, remove the drive from the machine, hook it as an external to your machine, and copy the clone over to that drive.

Your 10.6 discs are useless for those machines...can you chase the seller to see if they have their 10.5 discs?

And too late advice-don't buy machines without the discs! (Especially Windoze)
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

No no no no! Don't remove the drive just to clone it! Target Disk Mode bypasses the need to do that!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac G5 (A1058) as display | So, is it my power supply? »