New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Amazon.com

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tamerlane57

tamerlane57 is on a distinguished road

I'm getting ready to buy an IMac. I noticed that Amazon.com has it at a reduced price as well as the Apple Care. Is this a safe place to purchase from?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Absolutely. I've never had any trouble with Amazon and I've done a lot of business with them, including most of my Christmas shopping on a yearly basis. I don't see why Apple products from them would be any different.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Amazon is a very reliable online vendor.

However, there is one huge potential problem. There is no indication that I can find that Amazon is an Authorized Apple Retailer. (You may want to e-mail them and ask about this, and/or write to Apple and ask, to be sure about this.) Apple's authorized retailers are required to show a banner that tells customers that they are authorized, and I don't see this on the pages where new Apple products are offered for sale.

Apple doesn't allow non-authorized vendors to sell their products. Apple products sold by non-authorized retailers are called "gray market goods." Gray market goods are technically illegal to sell. Not from a criminal aspect, but from a violation of contract standpoint. (Apple contracts with all of their authorized retailers that they will not trans-ship goods to non-authorized retailers. So, any non-authorized retailer is selling goods in violation of someone's contract with Apple. Not only is the authorized retailer in violation of contract, but inducement to violate a contract, by the non-authorized retailer, is also illegal.)

Apple can, and has been known to, refuse to give warranty service on gray market goods. It might not be worth it to you to risk this. So you may want to be absolutely sure about this before you purchase from Amazon.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I'm going off memory here, but I believe that if it is fulfilled and shipped by Amazon you are covered for certain. If it lists a third party, than it depends.
FWIW I have purchased two MacBooks and a MacMini from Amazon with no problems and have AppleCare on all.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
wavinwayne

wavinwayne has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"

Apple Catalog & Internet Resellers

Don't believe anything I tell you, unless it is consistent with what you already know to be true, or unless you have taken the time to research the matter to prove its accuracy to your satisfaction. This is known as "doing your homework."
QUOTE Thanks
prrs4me

prrs4me is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML

Thanks for that link wavinwayne. I just bought a macbook pro and the AppleCare for it from Amazon. No problems at all.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

No problems with Amazon UK either, so the same applies. Buy with confidence.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

With my experience Amazon has been great. It has really fast shipping. If you are looking to upgrade your computer (now or later ) you should check out NewEgg. They have tons of computer stuff at a really good price.

- Kyle
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavinwayne View Post

Nice pickup!

Thanks!

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

benrymnd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac,intel core i3,processor speed 3.06ghz,processors 1,cores 2,L2 cache per core 256kb,L3 cache 4mb

Just bought the same 2 items from anazon no problems at all
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac pro questions | imac network issue? »