macpro need to extend wireless range
    I have a macbook pro about 5 yrs old, works great but I need to be able to use it out in my metal sided shop 40 yds from the cisco linksys E2000. Is there some antenna devise I could mount on the outside of shop pointing to the router, then hook up my Mac to it inside the shop? Also I have the original OS X should I upgrade, are the benefits worth it ? I am here to learn so thanks for your input.

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Radmac View Post
    I have a macbook pro about 5 yrs old, works great but I need to be able to use it out in my metal sided shop 40 yds from the cisco linksys E2000. Is there some antenna devise I could mount on the outside of shop pointing to the router, then hook up my Mac to it inside the shop? Also I have the original OS X should I upgrade, are the benefits worth it ? I am here to learn so thanks for your input.
    There have been several threads about this (and similar subjects) in the not too distant past. A quick forum search should dredge up some reading material. You might want to do that first.
    We can also point you to Apple site for some articles on extending your wireless network. But, honestly, with the situation you describe why not just run a hardwire ethernet connection to your shop building?

EDIT: Here's a link to an article that may help

Extending the range of your wireless network
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...en/ap2045.html

Here's another link specific to extending a Linksys network
    http://hints.macworld.com/article.ph...60609053254368
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Thanks razormac i checked all those articles and others and did not see a solution to my needs. I was hoping maybe some company made some type of antenna and hook-up for the Mac to save me a bunch of digging and wire running. Trying the kiss method first.

Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    You could try something like this QuickerTek Quicky USB Transceiver or check out the offerings here Mac Wireless products

Thread Information