New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Which motherboard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mknabster

mknabster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

I'm trying to find the tech specs of the new Mac Pros, but can't find what the motherboard is. Does anyone know?

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What is it exactly that you're trying to find out about the new Mac Pro motherboard tech specs? The motherboard (logic board) is proprietary to Apple; in other words, it's designed by them and built specifically for the Mac Pro. I'm not sure they publish the tech specs for the board - perhaps a service manual is where you could find info. That is, if you can find a service manual for the new Mac Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

Really, i was told that Asus makes the Apple motherboards, but Apple just brands it with their logo.

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

And what motherboard does Asus use as I was told they are made by Dell and re-badged? This goes on and on.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

I'm just asking a question, you don't have to be a jerk, if you don't have anything constructive to say, then why bother answering?

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknabster View Post
Really, i was told that Asus makes the Apple motherboards, but Apple just brands it with their logo.
ASUS has made products for Apple, but they're not just rebranded ASUS boards. They're designed by Apple and ASUS manufactures them. Basically the work is just farmed out.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

Oh ok, I stand corrected then. I saw people using Gigabyte motherboards to replace theirs when their Mac Pros die. I was looking to build an exact replica of one for half the cost of buying it form Apple, but the more i look into it, it looks too risky and may not be worth it.

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknabster View Post
Oh ok, I stand corrected then. I saw people using Gigabyte motherboards to replace theirs when their Mac Pros die. I was looking to build an exact replica of one for half the cost of buying it form Apple, but the more i look into it, it looks too risky and may not be worth it.
Sounds like a quasi-Hackintosh project.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

Yea it would be if i had more knowledge on the subject I think, my MBP is starting to die, like my 2nd battery is dead, 2nd superdrive is dead, and my screen is showing signs of the backlight shining upwards in certain spots.

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

And it was not a smart answer.

Gigabyte and Pegratron are building more and more motherboards for different brands, with the latter using better quality Fujitsu brand made in Japan capacitors. So who knows where the manufacturers are purchasing motherboards from.

Also Intel also supply motherboards which may well be manufactured for them under license.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Possible to Transport Software RAID Drives? | G5 won't boot »