New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Uninstall Software?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Leonard Michael

Leonard Michael is on a distinguished road

My neighbor has a Mac Desktop with Skype installed, for some reason she can't bring up Skype anymore. I'm a website developer and use a PC. I tried to figure out how to uninstall Skype and then re-install it to no avail.

Can someone point me in the right direction so I can help her?

Thanks in advance!

Respectfully,
Leonard Michael
QUOTE Thanks
ElegantEsthetic

ElegantEsthetic will become famous soon enough

Generally I've found that just dragging the App to the Trash works. Alternatively, download AppZapper (free for 5 uses) and then use that to get rid of Skype.

Reinstall, and you should be set (assuming she doesn't mess with the application the same way that she did it before).
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Hi and welcome to MacForums Leonard . . . . Here is a run down for you !!!!

Trash the Skype application. That's about it!

Now if you want to erase every trace of Skype:

Delete the file Macintosh HD:Library/Preferences/com.skype.skype.plist

Delete the file User/Library/Preferences/com.skype.skype.plist

Delete the folder User/Library/Application Support/Skype

Go to System Preferences/Accounts/Login Items and remove Skype from the list. It would be there if you have enabled Skype to launch when you log in to Mac OS X.

OR you can Download AppTrap and once it is installed (in system preferences) all you need to do is Trash Skype and it will trash all those other files/folders for you

HTH

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Leonard Michael

Okay. I will try that solution.

I think I deleted Safari on mistake. How can I get that back?

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Check the Trash, if it isn't there anymore then:

Mini-Tutorial: Re-installing Apple applications from a Mac OS X disc/update package using Pacifist | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

It says 20$ shareware but it has a trial which should work in getting back Safari.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
Leonard Michael

Oh boy. That's a bummer.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Michael View Post
I think I deleted Safari on mistake. How can I get that back?
Apple - Safari - Browse the web in smarter, more powerful ways. - There you are.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Leonard Michael

How can I access the internet if I lost Safari though?
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Open the Terminal application on her computer and paste in this followed by the enter key. Terminal is found in Applications>Utilities.

Since Apple uses links that timeout after a few moments, you will have to get Firefox first and then follow vansmiths link for Safari.

Code:
curl -O http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-3.6.14&os=osx&lang=en-US
This will download Firefox to her User folder.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
The same way you're posting to this forum. Download Safari to your machine, copy it to a thumb drive and transfer it to her Mac and install it.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
As chscag noted, you have access to a machine with a browser. Download it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McYukon View Post
Open the Terminal application on her computer and paste in this followed by the enter key. Terminal is found in Applications>Utilities.

Since Apple uses links that timeout after a few moments, you will have to get Firefox first and then follow vansmiths link for Safari.

Code:
curl -O http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-3.6.14&os=osx&lang=en-US
This will download Firefox to her User folder.
That command won't work - the link isn't to a proper file. Change that to the following and you're good to go:
Code:
curl -O http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.6.14/mac/en-US/Firefox%203.6.14.dmg

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

Huh, thought it worked when I tried it. Oh well, thanks for correcting it.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Triple Monitor iMac | Advice needed for Quad core g5 powermac »