New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Advice needed for Quad core g5 powermac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Fullmetal

Fullmetal is on a distinguished road

Hi hope someone can help me.

I think the logic board in my g5 has gone. This is annoying but I can live without the computer but I have a lot of photos and music on the hard drive I want to get before I get rid of it. Can anyone tell me the best way to do this. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

G'day and welcome to the forums.

When you get another computer, pop the hard drive into an external case, connect via Firewire and clone or copy.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

i really want the case to one of those G5's

i know this is irrelevant. sorry haha. but yep, just whack it in an enclosure and you can grab all your data.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
Fullmetal

Thanks for the help guys. Can either of you advise me the best hard drive case to get and I can transfer onto my pc. By the way if you live in London you are welcome to have the case.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all

i do live in london! whereabouts are you? i woud pay a little bit for it. in fact i can give you a sata enclosure if you want one. (any sata hard drive enclosure with a usb connection will do btw)

btw.. are you sure its the logic board?

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
QUOTE Thanks
Fullmetal

I'm in barnet. If you think it's worth anything then great. I don't know for sure it's the logic board but when I've looked about online it seems the problem. When I turn the computer on 2 red lights come on at the front of the computer and the fans sound like an airplane taking off and it may boot up or it may not. Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Well I am further away than London but have quite a bit to do with Dual Cores, and if it is the 2.5GHz version, the odds will be on the liquid coolant escaping and killing the processors and logic board.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

if its as harry says, and the logic board/processors are dead its not worth much anyway. it would be more costly to fix it than buy a new one.

im just interested in the case, not bothered about the parts, so if you decide you would like to get rid of it, pm me and ill give you a bit of money for it (i havent got alot mind....) you could probably flog the RAM off if it hasnt been damaged.

Navigator USB2 3.5" SATA Hard Drive Enclosure USB 2.0 External HDD Caddy w/ OneTouck Backup: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

this is the enclosure i used (so i can confirm it works with macs.)

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Uninstall Software? | Apple Keyboard with Copy/Paste keys »