New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Time Machine Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TomServo

TomServo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMAC 3.20GHZ INTEL CORE I3, 1TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE, ATI RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5, 12GB DDR3 RAM

I just set up my Time Machine back up on a Seagate HD and the save went as expected. All 56GB from my HD was copied to this external HD.

But when I open TM from the icon in the Dock it opens with all the neat spacey time warp animation but hidden behind a window labeled DESKTOP
When I attempt to close it to get to the TM it closes TM with it.

Here's a screen capture of what I'm trying to describe

What is this screen, why is it there and how can I get rid of so I can get to TM?

Thanks

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

Not sure I understand your question ..... but you are in TM
I assume you were positioned in the finder on the desktop and when you then launch TM, you will find yourself on the desktop in TM as well.
You can navigate in the finder inside TM
Select the backup you want from the right hand side of the screen, at the bottom, because you only have a limited set of backups so far.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
TomServo

Mac Specs: 27" iMAC 3.20GHZ INTEL CORE I3, 1TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE, ATI RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5, 12GB DDR3 RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBie View Post
Not sure I understand your question ..... but you are in TM
I assume you were positioned in the finder on the desktop and when you then launch TM, you will find yourself on the desktop in TM as well.
You can navigate in the finder inside TM
Select the backup you want from the right hand side of the screen, at the bottom, because you only have a limited set of backups so far.

Cheers ... McBie
Ahh that makes sense as I only have one instance of a back up. None of the on line tutorials I have seen show that window which is what caused my confusion.

BTW how frequently should I run back ups?

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Chef_eam is a jewel in the roughChef_eam is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

If you just turn on Time Machine and let it go, it will do a backup every hour as long as the Mac is turned on and not in sleep mode. I have TM backing up to a 1TB drive. My Mac's HD has 178 GB used, and after a year of backing up with TM, it has used only 389 GB on the 1TB external drive I use for backups. If you are using it on your iMac, there is no reason to not let it back up every hour like it is designed to do.
QUOTE Thanks
TomServo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_eam View Post
If you just turn on Time Machine and let it go, it will do a backup every hour as long as the Mac is turned on and not in sleep mode. I have TM backing up to a 1TB drive. My Mac's HD has 178 GB used, and after a year of backing up with TM, it has used only 389 GB on the 1TB external drive I use for backups. If you are using it on your iMac, there is no reason to not let it back up every hour like it is designed to do.
Thanks for response, I'll let the software do it's thing.

Cheers

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

To add to what has already been said you can also force an immediate backup by either going to the Time Machine icon in the top right menu or right-click the Time Machine icon in the Dock and select back up now.

This is good to do right before you do software updates or Mac OS updates in case you need to restore from a bad update. Depending on what your doing a lot can change within an hour so knowing how to force a backup is good to know.
QUOTE Thanks
onthecouchagain

onthecouchagain is on a distinguished road

How much space should be devoted, generally speaking, with external HDs?

I own a MBP with 320 gig HD, and plan to get a new iMac this summer probably with 500 gig HD (or if the base model goes up to 1TB, I'll do that). I plan to purchase a 2TB ext HD along with the iMac to use as for Time Machine for both my MBP and iMac. How much space should I devote to both?

This means my current MBP is not being backed up.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« One quad-core vs. one 8-core (two quad-cores) | ISO has different contents when mounted on linux? »