New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

How can I speed up my old Mac Book Pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jsfroude

jsfroude is on a distinguished road

How can I speed up my old Mac Book Pro?

I have a Refurbished MacBook Pro, 17-inch, 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo running Mac OS X 10.4.11 bought in 2007.

Its been great but these days is a bit slow and I wondered if there is anything I can do to get it back to its old self? - eg on a PC you can defrag etc.

Any help much appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

How much Ram has it got?

Assuming you have 2 gig or more I would do a fresh install of Snow Leopard, it's stll a cheap upgrade at $30

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Scott Baret

Scott Baret has a spectacular aura about

The best way to regain that lost speed is to start fresh. Back up all your data, format your drive, and reinstall the OS and your applications from their discs. I try to do this every 2-3 years with my machines to rid the drives of problems and fragments which may have crept up over time.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Baret View Post
The best way to regain that lost speed is to start fresh. Back up all your data, format your drive, and reinstall the OS and your applications from their discs. I try to do this every 2-3 years with my machines to rid the drives of problems and fragments which may have crept up over time.
This is a bad habit that many of us bring over for Windows, and quite simply is not remotely necessary with a UNIX-based OS.

If you want a "clean start", so to speak, simply creating a new user account and deleting the old one accomplishes the same thing. This is not Windows where you have a registry to rot or a dlls scattered throughout the system files. Everything is centralized and the user doesn't have the implicit authority to modify the OS in any significant way.

As far as fragmentation goes, if you maintain at least 20% free space, it's not an issue. But don't take my word for that:

About disk optimization with Mac OS X

My recommendation would be to run periodic maintenance with a tool like Onyx. That usually takes care of any slowdowns as the result of normal wear and tear.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
This is a bad habit that many of us bring over for Windows, and quite simply is not remotely necessary with a UNIX-based OS.
Exactly what I was thinking when read post #3. Bad advice...is simply bad advice. Just imagine the time & effort (and potential problems) the OP would have gone thru (unnecessarily)...if they had followed that info.

Of course I do understand that this advice does work well in the "Windows World"...I've done it myself.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Haha.. Back in my Windows days, me and a really good friend whom is also an tech, used to have a running joke with one another, that is actually based in reality. When one of us was having a problem trying to fix a clients computer and it was taking a bit too long, the answer was always:

"fdisk!"

Makes me laugh to this very day.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Scott Baret

Scott Baret has a spectacular aura about

For me, this habit came not from Windows, but from the days of System 6.

It is definitely true that OS X manages a disk better than previous operating systems and makes formatting and defragmentation less necessary than on Windows or pre-OS X Mac OS. I do use Disk Utility on a regular basis to repair anything that may have gone wrong with the hard drive (this actually occurs more frequently than some OS X users would lead you to believe, as it's happened to every OS X computer I've owned except my new MacBook Air). Using OnyX is good too, but in some cases it won't cure all problems.

Yes, it's possible to just create a new user account, but I'd rather have a complete refresh. Call me old-school, but I like to restore my disks to their original state and rid my computer of any extraneous clutter in the process while fixing potential problems with the actual drive. We're talking about drive rot here, not OS rot (which OS X doesn't suffer from to the degree Windows does).

I agree this takes plenty of time and effort, but in the end you rid your drive of potential disk-related problems and make a nice backup of your drive in the process. Remember, too, that each case is different from machine to machine and while alternatives to formatting often will work, starting at square one never hurts.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I transfer data from one OS X to another? | Superdrive failure »