New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

internal HDD = not mounting. please help, very frustrated.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LucaDintino

LucaDintino is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: (Post 9/07) iMac 24": 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB 667MHz, 500gb WD (failed internal drive) 1TB MyBook

Hi, my name is Luca this is my first post on Mac-forums, and I am graciously hoping that someone with greater knowledge than myself about hardware issues will stumble across this post!

2 days ago my 24" iMac (September 2007, alu.) started to be really.. REALLY slow. I had no idea what could possibly be the cause so I instinctively rebooted my computer.

normally, this process takes a minute or two. It took 15 minutes just to get to the login screen, then another 10 to get finder up and running !!

I then put in my SnowLeopard install disc to run disc utility on my internal hard drive, I verified and repaired the drive and tried to boot once again. No luck. Back in goes the Install disk to verify disc permissions.. loads of errors, all come out clean and fixed. Will it boot better? no.

I partitioned my external WD MyBook, 1TB and installed a fresh SnowLeopard, all of a sudden.. MIGRATION ASSISTANT! what a beautiful program, transfers EVERYTHING down to the contents of my trash to my new EXTERNAL install of snow leopard. I now boot into snow leopard on the external partition and see all 3 partitions. 2 from the MyBook and the internal drive. now that I have everything safe, I tried to erase the internal drive (using zero-out data method from disc utility). after completetion and reboot into snow leopard installer I start the install, get an error claiming that it cannot be installed and as of that moment my internal hard drive does not mount! I don't see it on the desktop, in finder or disc utility!

what is going on?

Please save me from this crazy mess!

-Thank you so very much

Luca.
QUOTE Thanks
Kax

Kax is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13" 2.4GHz Core i5 10.7.3 4GB DDR3 RAM 500GB HDD

Have you been using the Hard Disk sense 2007, did you change it? If not your Hard Disk might be corrupted. Buy another Hard Disk

I would take a bomb, but I canít stand the noise.

Macbook7,1 13" 2.4GHz Core2Duo 10.7.2 2GB DDR3 RAM 250GB HD. iPhone 3GS 32GB iOS5. iPod 3G 32GB iOS5
QUOTE Thanks
LucaDintino

Mac Specs: (Post 9/07) iMac 24": 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB 667MHz, 500gb WD (failed internal drive) 1TB MyBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kax View Post
Have you been using the Hard Disk sense 2007, did you change it? If not your Hard Disk might be corrupted. Buy another Hard Disk

thank you for your input!

Are those really the only two possibilities?

I'm dreading taking apart my iMac...
QUOTE Thanks
Kax

Kax is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13" 2.4GHz Core i5 10.7.3 4GB DDR3 RAM 500GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucaDintino View Post
thank you for your input!

Are those really the only two possibilities?

I'm dreading taking apart my iMac...
You already said you have repaired it but it did not fix it, I really don`t know what other choice you have, try to wait if others say something else

Sorry I did not help that much

I would take a bomb, but I canít stand the noise.

Macbook7,1 13" 2.4GHz Core2Duo 10.7.2 2GB DDR3 RAM 250GB HD. iPhone 3GS 32GB iOS5. iPod 3G 32GB iOS5
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucaDintino View Post

2 days ago my 24" iMac (September 2007, alu.) started to be really.. REALLY slow. I had no idea what could possibly be the cause so I instinctively rebooted my computer.

normally, this process takes a minute or two. It took 15 minutes just to get to the login screen, then another 10 to get finder up and running !!

what is going on?

Please save me from this crazy mess!

-Thank you so very much

Luca.
Typical issue indicating dead/dying drive.

I had 2 such last year including a brand new drive which WD replaced, no questions asked, when I told them what it was doing.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
LucaDintino

Thank you Kax, I'll just have to come to terms with my loss.. !
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

You do have an external with a copy of all your files etc? Critical for when the hdd fails and a new drive is needed.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
LucaDintino

Yes, I do. Currently I am running my mac in it's "pre-internal-HardDrive-failure" state from a second partition on my external drive. within the next two weeks i'm going to sit myself down and swap out my HDD.. kinda dreading the task but I think i'm capable of doing this myself. I'm gonna go buy a 1.5TB WD Caviar Green drive to replace my dead 500gb internal WD.

I will then use the Migration assistant again to move my life back to the internal drive after SnowLeopard is installed internally.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Air Superdrive not seen on iMac | Has anyone added a Solid State Drive to their iMac? »