New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

:::weird white screen plus staircase colored flickering dots??:::

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gaby1088

gaby1088 is on a distinguished road

whats up everyone. this is my first post here on mac forums. I have this issue with my 4 year old 17inch imac. I tried doing some research on the issue but i cant find my specific one. When i turn on the comp i just had a white screen. Then after some recommendations i reseted the memory by doing command option RP. Then these staircase colored flashing dots started happening but in the background i see the OS booting up. Once it finishes booting up i have a white screen and I cant see anything other than a white backdrop and the staircase colored lines.

here is a picture for reference: I really appreciate any advise!!
this picture is of the computer already "loaded."

[IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
TIA,
Gabe.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It looks like a graphics processor problem. Try attaching an external monitor to your iMac and see if the same thing happens. If you don't have a spare monitor, a TV can be used. Post back the results and we can go from there.
QUOTE Thanks
gaby1088

i think im going to have to buy the monitor adapter because i dont think the computer came with it. :/
QUOTE Thanks
gaby1088

bump, havnt had time to take it in.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

that is a tell tale sign of a broken graphics processor, as chscag says.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I get into this thing? | 2006 iMAC Kernel Panic (curtain of death) »