New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

27" C2D for video editing - advice please

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joe chip

joe chip is on a distinguished road

Hello all,
This is my first post here and I hope i can get some sound advise. My 2005 imac died just before christmas and originally i was gonna buy a base level 21.5 i3. My budget was 1280euro. But i desided to order a 27" C2D 3.06ghz imac refurb for 1270euro today.That big sexy screen is very appealing and i read that 27 C2D 3.06 is'nt that much slower then the i3.

I want to do all the usual stuff email, surf etc and edit hour+ dv movie projects in FCE4. also an hour+ movie done with a digital stills camera, not sure what picture rez but noting major and also photoshop, I'm assuming the 27" can handle this.

I'm pretty unsure if this machine could handle HD video if in the future i wanted to have a go with HD and maybe FCP??

Would this machine be adequte? i expect it just takes a little longer, But would do the job. Now i'm having second thoughts and thinking i should maybe send the 27" C2D back when it arrives and get another 200euro together and buy a 27" i3 3.02ghz refurb. Or Would the 27" C2D serve me well? I really want to get the imac purcahse out of the way so the real fun can begin. Thanks a lot for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I'd just get a better spec'd 21" iMac from the refurb store, if it was me. Unless you're gonna be sitting a good 2 feet away from that monitor, the 27" will prob be too much for your eyes. Besides, the 21" is more than adequate screen real estate. Have you played with one at the Apple Store or Best Buy? They're awesome.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
joe chip

hi, thanks for the reply, no i haven't played with one, i saw one today in the flesh and thought it was fine and was planning on getting the 21.5" but then changed my mind at the last minute. The 27" is prob just lust, but i also heard a lot of folk saying the 27" is top notch for video editing. Thats what kinda swayed me. Maybe i'll call the applestore and see if i can do a switch before they process my order. Anyone else have any ideas? Agree? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
joe chip

Thanks MyMacRox, i switched for a 21.5 3.02ghz refurb.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

3.2?

i3 or i5?

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
joe chip

hi, yeah i3, 3.2ghz, refurb, with applecare, that was the max i could afford.
QUOTE Thanks
bentharbour

bentharbour has a spectacular aura about

The 27'" is absolutely incredible. Now I am not into intense video editing (I use iMovie just to have a little fun making small movies) so I can't really talk about that, but I know that every time I turn on my iMac, I am very happy I chose the bigger screen. For everyday use it is so awesome, you can have two webpages plus mail, Itunes, and any other application all open in different areas on your screen. Great for multitasking

 15" MBPr (2012): 2.3Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD  24" Apple Cinema Display  iPhone 5 16GB Black  iPad 2 16GB White
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What is the difference between... | Not enough RAM »