New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Trouble AGAIN

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MrMacMan56

MrMacMan56 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz 4GB 500GB HDD i3 Processor ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB / iPhone 3GS 8GB

Hi,

My Dad not having a clue what to do with his macs! He downloaded a program called drive genius 3 to try and speed it up. (do a defrag) he apparently uninstalled it every time I boot up it says drive genius cannot be found please delete using the proper installer or copy from your disc. (we only got the trial) There is no sign of the programme anymore
What do you reckon guys? Also on the log on screen I can type as much as I wont into the password box it takes 20 seconds for anything to appear?
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, I did that. Just re-download the trial then use the uninstaller that's in the program. Seems a bit clunky, I know, but it worked for me.

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Try going into system preferences-account and then click the Login Items tab and uncheck the Drive Genius 3 from there.

How did dad uninstall it ?? Did it have its own uninstaller or did he just drag it to the trash ??
If he just dragged it to trash and it has its own uninstaller then i would suggest to download it again and then uninstall it via its own uninstaller . . . .. . . . . .

I suggest you dl AppTrap which is a excellent little app to completely trash all related files/folders of a given file/folder that you put in the trash.
Once you have done what you need to i would do a reboot as well. This might fix the long log in as well. If not repair permission via Disk Utility as dad might not have done any good to your Mac when trying to de-frag

HTH

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And if no joy there download the utility again, and see if the uninstaller comes with it and run that if so.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
MrMacMan56

Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz 4GB 500GB HDD i3 Processor ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB / iPhone 3GS 8GB

Drive genius does not show on login items? Although iTunes helper and some speech programme is on there should I remove these?
QUOTE Thanks
MrMacMan56

I removed the programme using the uninstaller on the Application it went straight to trash (yet to re-boot my mac) After searching in finer it did show up one more file with a HDD logo on it!
QUOTE Thanks
MrMacMan56

I still have the lag on the log in box guys it takes longer to type my password than it does to boot the whole computer.
QUOTE Thanks
MrMacMan56

I just replaced my keyboard batteries for higher quality ones and it is still the same. Basically just before and as the lagged letters appear on the log on screen the green light on my keyboard shines solid for about 10 seconds! For some reason could my keyboard be disconnecting from my mac every time it is shut down?

VERY ODD!!!

I opened system preferences even though I could type with my keyboard it did not pick the keyboard up as a bluetooth one :/ I selected set up bluetooth keyboard turned it of and on connected fine by the time I got to the menus it said connection lost Even though I can still type with it. I AM VERY CONFUSED could it be that my keyboard is malfunctioning? I did spill a tiny drop of cola on it yesterday
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Well that answers your keyboard problem. Cordial is full of sugar and that can be fatal for a keyboard so keep drinks well, well away! When things are up and going download the utility again and see if the uninstaller comes with it.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
MrMacMan56

Ok... I will have to get the key fixed on it and then drop into the apple store and get it replaced
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sick MDD | Snow Leopard?Safari Problem »