New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

can't stop hard drive filling up on quad G5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gazz2000

gazz2000 is on a distinguished road

Hi
Hope someone can help with this, I have a quad g5 with 9 gb of RAM but for some reason
the internal hard drive is now full and up to 232gb (the drive is 250 gb capacity),now I can't do simple tasks like saving
WAV files to any of the four external drives or save anything to the desktop,the Time Machine window opened earlier saying it had no room to back up,would getting a second internal drive help? or is something being routed incorrectly?
If I try to save something i get error code (-36). I am running Protools 8
hope someone can help me with this
Many thanks
Gazz
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

try a repair permissions in disk utility.

pro tools troubleshoots usually involve trashing the preferences, but it sounds more like a system wide issue.

as for the second internal: all professional audio engineers run 2 internals, 1 for System/Applications, and 1 for Audio.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Is the hard drive actually full? After formatting a 250GB HDD, 235GB would be about all that is available, and of that some 15% should be kept free in order for the drive to work anywhere near efficiently. Your answer would seem to be in a larger 500GB drive.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Not sure what this has to do with the MacWorld Expo, moved to more appropriate forum.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

First, I would run a program like Grand Perspective on your hard drive. It takes a snapshot of your drive, and displays files in blocks of different sizes - the larger the block, the larger the file. If you see a huge block, hover over it and see what it is. If it's a video or something you feel comfortable removing, delete it and free up a big block of space quickly.

Second, you mentioned Time Machine is throwing an error that your drive is full. I'd bet you've got TM set to back up to your internal drive - which is bad. If that's the case, point TM to one of the externals instead and delete the backups from your internal drive.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

If what OP stated is correct, doubt he can download and run anything with a chock a block hard drive. And he has not been back to keep us informed.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macpro distorted lines freeze on boot | upgrade iMac G4 »