New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Split Mini Displayport question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Taco

Taco is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac (mid 2010)

I just bought my first Mac, a 27-inch iMac refurb. I can't get over the display. It's the best I've ever seen, nevermind used. I love it.

I'm wondering now if I can split the Mini Displayport, perhaps with something like this.

Ultimately I want my HDTV connected to the Mini Displayport as an extended monitor for the iMac. I also want my Win 7 Thinkpad connected, so I can Command+F2 between Apple and Windows environments.

I don't know if standard splitter will work, because on one Mini Displayport I'd be pumping out to the TV and on the other I'd be pumping in from my PC.

Has anyone done this or something similar, perhaps with a Mac Book?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Your iMac has two separate mdp ports. One is video in, one is video out. No, you're not going to plug one cable into the video out port and expect to get video in.

I have never yet seen a two way video port on any device; be it a TV, monitor, a/v receiver, or a computer.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Not to contradict . . but . . . I have the late 2009 27" iMac and it has a single Mini Display Port (combined in and out). As far as I can tell from the pics on the Apple site the 2010 model is the same. Not sure which the OP has.

However, I agree that it's very unlikely that adapter will work. Perhaps worth a go if you can return it if/when it doesn't work.

I think the difficulties will come because the adapter isn't smart enough (or maybe not even wired in the right way) to work out which device is an input and which is out and how to handle it when they are both present and on.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Taco

Taco is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac (mid 2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
I have the late 2009 27" iMac and it has a single Mini Display Port (combined in and out). As far as I can tell from the pics on the Apple site the 2010 model is the same.
Correct. There's only one MDP on my June 2010 iMac.

Quote:
I have never yet seen a two way video port on any device;
Actually, that's exactly what MDP is, a two-way video port. It is self-regulating, on a hardware level, so it knows it's getting video in when a laptop is connected. (See this thread about it.) And it knows when it needs to pump out when a second display or television is connected.

The question is whether it will know to do this if a splitter is installed. Perhaps the first question, is has anyway ever split a MDP, period. Then if so, does input/output toggle with the Command+F2 function ...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Well, shiver me timbers. Guess I just "assumed" there were two separate ports. Learn somthin' new every day. Reckon I better do some studyin' up on this new fangled contraption.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Recording Skype phone calls | iMac sleep/shutdown? have your say »