New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Which used Mac for my kids?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

COMtnBiker

COMtnBiker is on a distinguished road

Thinking about a used, older (cheaper!) Mac for my kids' use at home (ages 10 and under). I only have experience (recent switcher) to my MBP running Snow Leopard.

Looking over Craigslist, I see G4s, G5s, iMacs, etc. and don't have a clue about these. I was thinking MacMini too.

Any advice? Just want to make sure it's rugged, and able to work with our wireless network (Airport Express), wireless printer, etc. Anything I should stay away from?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

My vote would be to go with an intel Mac. Mini, iMac etc.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I would agree, especially if you already have a Monitor and keyboard, the Mac Mini is a great choice.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Another vote for the Mini.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

I'd also go for the Mac Mini. Small form factor, and great if you already have a keyboard, monitor, and mouse.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac OS X User

Mac OS X User is on a distinguished road

I'd go for the mac mini also but the prices these go for on ebay are about 100 - 400 (140 - 600 USD). If it was for your kids I would go for a imac g4 or a powermac g4. These machines are still very good and you can pick these up for only 20 - 60 (30 - 100 USD).

-Jamie
QUOTE Thanks
COMtnBiker

COMtnBiker is on a distinguished road

My preference is the Mini too, but I'd have to pick up a cheap monitor.

For now, I setup an old Dell laptop (XP) and got it up and running for them.

That was an EXCELLENT reminder of why I switched to Mac and why I won't switch back for a long time.

- about 8 pop up notifications about the wireless network, virus protection status, updates available, etc.
- setup Windoze kid-safe browsing thing, and every single website I visited had me type my password in for access. Crazy annoying and not accurate at all.
- random weird stuff happens with settings. Didn't save my desktop pictures. Wouldn't re-boot for some reason, flickering screen. Disk drive working like mad for no reason. Ug.

Maybe this way, they'll really appreciate the Mac once I switch them to it! :-)
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMtnBiker View Post
My preference is the Mini too, but I'd have to pick up a cheap monitor.

For now, I setup an old Dell laptop (XP) and got it up and running for them.

That was an EXCELLENT reminder of why I switched to Mac and why I won't switch back for a long time.

- about 8 pop up notifications about the wireless network, virus protection status, updates available, etc.
- setup Windoze kid-safe browsing thing, and every single website I visited had me type my password in for access. Crazy annoying and not accurate at all.
- random weird stuff happens with settings. Didn't save my desktop pictures. Wouldn't re-boot for some reason, flickering screen. Disk drive working like mad for no reason. Ug.

Maybe this way, they'll really appreciate the Mac once I switch them to it! :-)
If it gets to be too much work you could always load Ubuntu on the Dell it can't hurt to get them diversified and yes this would make them appreciate and take care of the Mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dual 1.0 to Dual 1.42? | Imac question. »