New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Solid-state motherboard capacitors?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Phacade

Phacade will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 21˝" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM

I brought this up in another topic but thought it could use its own thread. I know a lot of motherboard manufactuers (such as Gigabyte and Asus) are now using solid-state capacitors in their motherboards that are supposed to last a lot longer since, in theory, they don't rupture over prolonged use.

Does anyone know if Mac does the same on either the iMac or the Mac Pro?

21˝" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac "Sputnik" ■ 12GB Crucial RAM ■ Monsoon flat-panel speakers ■ HP P1006 LaserJet printer ■ Full Keyboard ■ Canoscan 9000F flatbed scanner ■ ...and then of course me (being a narcissist, I consider this to be the most important mod).
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Most, if not all of the new robot built motherboards use a method called surface mounting for placing and soldering components. This lends well to using all solid state components that are incapsulated including capacitors, diodes, ICs, and transistors.

I don't know for sure that Apple logic boards use solid state capacitors but I suspect they do. Apple is usually a front line leader in hardware design.
QUOTE Thanks
harvey3178

harvey3178 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

If you are going to buy a new mac then i wouldn't worry about this at all, even in cheap pc units this occurs after many years of use, yes it can happen sooner but Macs have a very good and reliable reputation. As you can see from this forum, many users still use the old model Macs and have no issue.
I would look into Apple care to put your mind at rest, i bought apple care with my new 27" i7 iMac, three years of warranty is plenty i feel.

iMac 27" i7 8G , MBP 15" i7 8G , iPad 64 3G , iPhone 4 32G
QUOTE Thanks
John T

John T will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 21.5in iMac

Nothing has radically changed with capacitors since the 1920's. Admittedly, some types have been miniaturised since the introduction of the PCB (printed circuit board) that is nowadays used in solid state circuits in most electronic equipment.

The surface-mount versions of small value resistors and capacitors were developed specifically for use on PCB's. They are soldered directly across the relevant tracks on the board, thus obviating the need for connecting wires.

However, some larger value capacitors such as the electrolytic type, which, due to their size, are connected to the PCB via wires or tags. These are usually found in computer power supply - Apple included!

To claify things, have a look here.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2008 imac question | question mark »