New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

CD bay wont open

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

steve bullman

steve bullman is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone.

I have a mac pro and am having problems with the cd bay for some reason. when i press the eject button on the keyboard it flashes up the eject image on my screen but then nothing happens. If i reboot the system it will then work. It seems like the longer the system has been running the less likely it is that it will work. Has anyone else had this problem? the mac is only about 6 months old and its done this from new. I mentioned it to the shop where i bought it from and they said to bring it in...i dont really want to be without my mac for any time, not to mention lugging a mac pro back to the shop is a pain in the backside.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Try holding down the eject button on the keyboard for about 6-10seconds next time this happens.

Hope this helps

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
steve bullman

nope, still nothing
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Do you have a spare drive that you can test with? It sounds like the drive mechanism itself may be failing. If you do have a spare drive laying around do a swap to see what happens. Otherwise you'll probably have to take the machine on in for warranty work. I know it's a pain to lug a big machine like that in for repair but unless you DIY you have no other choice.
QUOTE Thanks
steve bullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Do you have a spare drive that you can test with? It sounds like the drive mechanism itself may be failing. If you do have a spare drive laying around do a swap to see what happens. Otherwise you'll probably have to take the machine on in for warranty work. I know it's a pain to lug a big machine like that in for repair but unless you DIY you have no other choice.
i dont have a spare drive unfortunately. its looking like i am going to take it in! its not so much lugging it into the dealer that im concerned about, but having to use my PC while im waiting for it to be repaired
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Have a look through this thread for placing an Eject Superdrive button in the Menu Bar:-

Cannot eject cd from my iMac - Mac OS X Installer

Also have you tried ejecting by going to Disk Utility and see if that is available there?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
steve bullman

thanks harry, helpful post. its ejecting at the moment as i just restarted the system, come tomorrow it probably wont eject though so i'll try then!

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
steve bullman

Thanks doe the replies guys....something interesting has just come to light though...dont know how i didnt pick up on this before. It seems that its windows parallels causing the issue. I was looking at some pictures earlier and when i selected to view them in a windows program by mistake the folder(which was on a cd) disappeared.

So it seems when parallels is open i guess it takes precident over the cd drive? my cd drive doesnt even show up when parallels is open, but it just show up in the windows installation.

Closing parallels fixes the problem.

I installed parallels as i need windows to run my quickbooks accounting software...which it does exceptionally well...but i guess im not free from the evils of windows after all!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Thanks for posting back. Parallels does have some quirks which is why I use Fusion instead. However, I believe you can go into tools or options and assign the CD drive the way you want it to behave. That way it will always be available even when you have Parallels running in the background. Give that a shot and let us know.
QUOTE Thanks
steve bullman

thanks. im still new to macs, this would be tools and options in the mac app folder?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 27'' iMac + Mini-Displayport = connection nightmare !.. | Invisible memory stick! »