New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

My iMac 2.66ghz 20" 2009's CPU fan clicking?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Stuerror

Stuerror is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Late 2011 2.2ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 128GB OCZ-VERTEX4 SSD, 500GB SATA HD

Hi

Just the other day my iMac started making a ticking, clicking noise and through various pictures of the inside of these things I located the noise to the CPU fan.

Is this something that happens alot to these models?
I have fired the fan up to full RPM to see whether it was dust causing the issue but with no luck it still clicks.

Could there be a software issue thats doing it? I have repaired permissions and everything but no luck

My warranty has now expired because I stupidly didn't take out Applecare, im thinking of opening the thing up myself as im used to opening up macs.

I just want to check whether there is anything I can do before I open it to sort the problem and anymore info about it would be great
QUOTE Thanks
Stuerror

Mac Specs: MBP 15" Late 2011 2.2ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 128GB OCZ-VERTEX4 SSD, 500GB SATA HD

One thing I have noticed is I now don't think it is the CPU fan but the optical drive fan....

I have been firing the fans up with 'Fan Control' and CPU and Hard disk fans fire up fine, when i try the optical however it doesn't go above 1500 RPM??

I did notice it fires up when I control the CPU fan though and the noise disappears only to be replaced by a huge fan whirring sound (as expected).

Do the sensors in my iMac control both the CPU fan and optical drive fan together??
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Apparently there are quite a few posts relating to fan noise for your model iMac. I just read through several of them. It seems the noise is (high speed RPM) is sensor related. Several articles suggest resetting the SMC first to see if the fan speeds return to normal.

You mention the CPU fan and then you say you have an optical drive fan. Are you sure that second fan is for the optical drive and not the hard drive?

Anyway, you probably should open the iMac up to see what's going on if the SMC reset doesn't work. Be careful opening up the machine and make sure you have the proper tools on hand first. You need glass suckers and a good set of torx drivers.
QUOTE Thanks
Stuerror

Cheers for your help

Yeah it is defo the optical drive fan as there are 3 in the machine.
I discovered this from looking at the ifixit guide.

There is a CPU fan, optical drive fan and a hard disk fan.

I shall grab some suckers and a torx set off ebay and give it a go opening it up.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Intel iMac partial (?) boot | Imac 21.5" or second hand 24" »