New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Is this true?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

IMACFAN15

IMACFAN15 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac g3 500Mhz

I was reading some of the old posts on this website, and someone once had said macs were made not to be shut off. Is that true? Also, when should I use the sleep mode on my machine, and is it ok if the machine gets a little warm?

-Dan.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMACFAN15 View Post
I was reading some of the old posts on this website, and someone once had said macs were made not to be shut off. Is that true? Also, when should I use the sleep mode on my machine, and is it ok if the machine gets a little warm?

-Dan.
I don't know that they are made specifically to not be shut down, but a lot of us (myself included) rarely shut totally down.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

I only shutdown during a reboot for software updates.

$ uptime
19:19 up 14 days, 8:51, 3 users, load averages: 0.54 0.26 0.14
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Wow..that's a fairly uninformed thought process right there. No such thing as an OS or a computer that is specifically DESIGNED not to be shut down or whatever.

The way OS X works it definitely lends itself to not needing to be shutdown each night if you don't wish to do so. The system doesn't necessarily start to build up crud that slows things down over time.

Windows, on the other hand, traditionally can be made to do something similarly if you limit the kinds of applications you run on there, but for most desktop use you'll find that frequent reboots will keep the OS/computer peppy..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And for what it is worth shut mine down daily.

Then again use a little utility called MacJanitor which runs all those maintenance scripts automatically.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
IMACFAN15

IMACFAN15 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac g3 500Mhz

Ok, well is it ok if the machine gets a little warm after about an hour of use? It's not burning hot, just a little warm.

-Dan.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

There are a lot of variables that affect how warm/hot your machine gets..things like ambient temperature, load on the system and so on..

Grab something like iStat nano, a Dashboard Widget by iSlayer for free and check on the temps and report back what you see and we can tell you if your definition of "warm" is OK or not..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Ok, well is it ok if the machine gets a little warm after about an hour of use? It's not burning hot, just a little warm.

-Dan.
Have a read of "My MacBook/Air/Pro is overheating, what do I do?" Guide. thread. And as Razor has said there are a lot of variables.

And as having the monitors in your MenuBar you can dl iStat Menus .v 2. Dont update this one as it will then take you too the .v 3 which will be a paid App after the trial. This one is free . .

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiDE View Post
I only shutdown during a reboot for software updates.

$ uptime
19:19 up 14 days, 8:51, 3 users, load averages: 0.54 0.26 0.14
20:30 up 16 days, 2:10, 2 users, load averages: 0.57 0.56 0.45

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
John T

John T will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 21.5in iMac

To quote Apple :-

"Shutting Down Your iMac
If you won’t be using your iMac for more than a few days, shut it down. Choose Apple () > Shut Down. To turn your iMac on again, press the power (®) button."

Therefore, for those who regularly use their iMac, leave it on all the time and put it to sleep overnight.

There is a practical reason for using the machine this way (or any item of electrical equipment). Continually turning it on and off can create undue strain on the components of the power supply caused by the initial power surge during switch-on.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

^^ Exactly, it avoids wear on components.
Never switch mine off, just restart it occasionally if it's running slow, but generally it's on for days on end.
I was advised not to switch it off when I bought my first iMac, because back then Jaguar ran overnight maintenance tasks (I assume that still applies actually) and I also used to use Macjanitor.
To date (famous last words) I have not had any component failures related to leaving it on, I've only had a superdrive die, which is unrelated and common anyway.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
And for what it is worth shut mine down daily.
So do I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
To date (famous last words) I have not had any component failures related to leaving it on, I've only had a superdrive die, which is unrelated and common anyway.
If you substitute "shutting it off" for "leaving it on" I say the same.
QUOTE Thanks
Scott Baret

Scott Baret has a spectacular aura about

I have always followed this basic principle--if it's newer than a tray-loader, always put it to sleep instead of shutting it down provided it will be used again within the next three days. Most Macs made in the past 11 1/2 years are designed for a silent sleep when not in use, allowing users to skip the slow startup process and resume productive work immediately while saving wear on components in the process.

Always turn your Mac off if there's a threat of the power being interrupted (and your Mac relies on wall power at all times, as is the case of desktops and laptops with dead batteries) or if you're going to be working on its internals.
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
I was reading some of the old posts on this website, and someone once had said macs were made not to be shut off. Is that true?
There is no set rule for this. No right or wrong answer.

I believe that the reason that many folks have heard that computers should be left on all the time is because the first computers (the ones that took up entire rooms) were designed to never be shut down. Personal computers don’t have anywhere near the quality of components (that is, their robustness, not how advanced they are) that those computers had. Personal computers are built to a price point. Their hard drives have a limited lifespan (rated in Mean Time Before Failure -MTBF, you can find this rating on the drive manufacturer's Web site), their switches wear out eventually, solder joints crack from heat cycling, capacitors pop from withstanding too many surges, etc. (Which is not to say that if you leave your Macintosh on all the time that it will likely fail in a short period of time. It won't. Macs are revered for their long life-spans. But less wear tends to be better than more wear. Hard drives not un-commonly fail.)

With regard to desktop Macs, the choice of shutting your computer down or leaving it on is a wash. There is no right choice. If you leave it on, your hard drive is spinning continuously, and you therefore shorten the life of the hard drive. If you turn it off you put the computer through heat cycling (hot to cold, cold to hot) and increase the chances of a cracked (i.e. cold) solder joint. The decider for some may be that you save energy by shutting down at night and waste energy by leaving your computer on.

The biggest problem with a laptop is heat. Laptops get really hot and heat is one of the biggest enemies of electronics. So, with regard to a laptop, you probably want to shut it down at night so that the laptop isn't generating heat all night long needlessly. In addition, your LCD screen has a limited lifespan, just like your hard drive. So you may want to minimize it’s on-time.

The advantages of leaving your computer on all the time are....convenience, your Mac is always ready to go. Less wear and tear on switches and the like during startup (there is some electrical surge when starting up, and computers usually fail, when and if they fail, during startup). Less heat cycling (which tends to cause cold solder joints to form.)

I leave my computer on if I will be coming back to it within an hour or so. Otherwise I shut it down. But that’s not right or wrong, it’s just what I’ve chosen to do.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

harvey3178 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that Randy B. Singer, i also agree that there is no right or wrong answer to this, i am new to the mac scene but have had and worked on pc's for over 15 years, i have never left any of my computers on over night or when i am away for more than an hour and have never had a PSU fail on me but again this does not mean i am correct, its just my preference. The point you made about the cold to hot is very correct! i had an issue before when a friend of a friend of mine brought me his dead pc for the third time! then found out he used it in his garage!! extreme cold to extreme hot! and as you say over time this will cause problems, generally in your home the temperature should be stable and limit this, at the end of the day its your choice.

Thanks Randy B. Singer

iMac 27" i7 8G , MBP 15" i7 8G , iPad 64 3G , iPhone 4 32G
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Keyboard stops working on iMac | G5 will not start up, Black screen. Please HELP!!!! »