New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Is this true?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
technologist

 
Member Since: Mar 30, 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,744
technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

technologist is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
Personal computers donít have anywhere near the quality of components (that is, their robustness, not how advanced they are) that those computers had. Personal computers are built to a price point. Their hard drives have a limited lifespan (rated in Mean Time Before Failure -MTBF, you can find this rating on the drive manufacturer's Web site), their switches wear out eventually, solder joints crack from heat cycling, capacitors pop from withstanding too many surges, etc.
All of which are good reasons for not shutting it down.

Starting a Mac up requires it to load everything from a cold state. Your hard disk has to spin up and spend a minute or so doing heavy read operations. Everything goes from dead cold to heavy activity in the blink of an eye.

Now, sixty seconds of extra strain a couple of times a day is not going to do much damage, but still, why bother? After all, less wear tends to be better than more wear.
Quote:
If you leave it on, your hard drive is spinning continuously, and you therefore shorten the life of the hard drive.
Not correct. When your Mac is asleep, the HD stops. Even when it's awake and idle, your HD will stop if you have that option set in the Energy Saver pane (and you probably should.)
Quote:
In addition, your LCD screen has a limited lifespan, just like your hard drive. So you may want to minimize itís on-time.
This was true back when Apple used fluorescent backlights, but it's not true of current Macs with LED backlights. Besides, the backlight goes off when the system is asleep, anyway.

It's not so much that modern Macs are not designed to be switched off; instead, modern Macs are designed to be left on (or asleep) whenever they're not in use. You can shut them off if you like, but there is no reason to do so unless you're expecting a power failure, or storing it for extended periods.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

 
toMACsh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 30, 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,568
toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

toMACsh is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey3178 View Post
...at the end of the day its your choice.
And, perhaps, in the middle of the day as well.
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

 
Randy B. Singer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 01, 2011
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 599
Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Randy B. Singer is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey3178 View Post
... extreme cold to extreme hot! and as you say over time this will cause problems, generally in your home the temperature should be stable and limit this...
Computers get quite hot inside. The little joints where discrete components are soldered to the motherboard are metal, soft metal (tin), and thus readily expand and contract with each temperature cycle. In time they can crack from this expansion and contraction and cause an electrical discontinuity.

I haven't been inside a Mac to fix it for years, but when I was younger folks would give me their dead Macs that they had given up on and I would open them up, touch a soldering pen to each of the solder joints to reflow the solder (especially around the power supply, which gets really hot) and ta-da!, the Mac would be as good as new.

Often I found that Macs that were dead only needed a 17-cent capacitor replaced. You can spot a popped capacitor on a motherboard in seconds. It only takes a few minutes to remove the old one and solder in a new one.

If you take a Mac with either of the two problems, above, to Apple, you will find that they simply don't do component-level repair. They will replace an entire motherboard to fix the problem. If your Mac is out of warranty, they will charge you for an entire motherboard. So, for want of a 17-cent capacitor or a reflowed solder joint, it might be uneconomical to have an older Mac repaired.

It used to be possible to find computer repair shops that would do component-level repairs, and who would charge accordingly. Sadly, those types of shops are becoming harder and harder to find.

___________________________________________

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting
___________________________________________
QUOTE Thanks
Phacade

 
Phacade's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 09, 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 180
Phacade will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 21Ĺ" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM

Phacade is offline
Along those same lines of thought, I know a lot of motherboard manufactuers are now using solid-state capacitors that last a lot longer. Does anyone know if Mac does the same now?

21Ĺ" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac "Sputnik" ■ 12GB Crucial RAM ■ Monsoon flat-panel speakers ■ HP P1006 LaserJet printer ■ Full Keyboard ■ Canoscan 9000F flatbed scanner ■ ...and then of course me (being a narcissist, I consider this to be the most important mod).
QUOTE Thanks
mattg3

 
Member Since: Dec 05, 2010
Posts: 50
mattg3 is on a distinguished road

mattg3 is offline
Are we talking sleep here or complete shutdown?Does the hard drive spin in sleep mode?
QUOTE Thanks
harvey3178

 
harvey3178's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2010
Posts: 30
harvey3178 is on a distinguished road

harvey3178 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Are we talking sleep here or complete shutdown?Does the hard drive spin in sleep mode?
Bit of both on this topic i think! lol, on sleep however the iMac does shut off the hard drive, put it to sleep also if you like, the only thing that puts some people off is that there is still full power going to the power supply 24/7, yes the supply will not draw much power because the machine is in sleep mode but you cant get away from the fact that depending on where you stay, either 240v or 110v is sitting on the supply, nothing wrong with this as thats its job, its just the reason some people like to shut down at night.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer
It used to be possible to find computer repair shops that would do component-level repairs, and who would charge accordingly. Sadly, those types of shops are becoming harder and harder to find
Sadly yes this is true, we still do pc's to component level because as you say is pennies for the simple parts that mostly fail.

We could easily do apple mac and they are a joy to work on but sadly we find it hard to get spares and if we do if its not a simple component then the prices are shocking

iMac 27" i7 8G , MBP 15" i7 8G , iPad 64 3G , iPhone 4 32G
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

 
Member Since: Mar 30, 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,744
technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

technologist is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey3178 View Post
Bit of both on this topic i think! lol, on sleep however the iMac does shut off the hard drive, put it to sleep also if you like, the only thing that puts some people off is that there is still full power going to the power supply 24/7, yes the supply will not draw much power because the machine is in sleep mode but you cant get away from the fact that depending on where you stay, either 240v or 110v is sitting on the supply, nothing wrong with this as thats its job, its just the reason some people like to shut down at night.
That's true whenever the Mac is plugged into the wall outlet. That's what wall outlets do--provide 120/240v input current. It doesn't matter if the Mac is on, asleep, or off, it always has the same input voltage.

When a Mac is asleep, it uses perhaps 1w of power, which is about the same as it uses when off.
QUOTE Thanks
Kax

 
Kax's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 16, 2010
Location: Yemen, Aden
Posts: 120
Kax is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13" 2.4GHz Core i5 10.7.3 4GB DDR3 RAM 500GB HDD

Kax is offline
Really interesting subject with a lot of info I did not know I think I`ll start sleeping my MacBook. because I only make it sleep when I will be back to it in an hour to three not more. I like to shut down my MacBook because that is what I do to my Pc.
I have been using Pc`s for about 6~7 years now (I am only 15 years old ) and I switch it off at night and turn it on in the morning.
thank you all for the info and special thx to IMACFAN15 for opening the subject.

I would take a bomb, but I canít stand the noise.

Macbook7,1 13" 2.4GHz Core2Duo 10.7.2 2GB DDR3 RAM 250GB HD. iPhone 3GS 32GB iOS5. iPod 3G 32GB iOS5
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

 
McBie's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 26, 2008
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,533
McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

McBie is offline
I never switch my MBP off , simply close the lid.
Have been doing this since April 2008.
I only restart the machine when Apple Software Update forces me to

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Keyboard stops working on iMac | G5 will not start up, Black screen. Please HELP!!!! »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Too good to be true? RotorPilot Switcher Hangout 8 10-30-2008 03:34 PM
Cheap iPod Touch on eBay, too good to be true? dresum iPod Hardware and Accessories 4 05-23-2008 03:13 AM
Can It Be True?? caveatipss Switcher Hangout 12 03-29-2006 10:11 PM
Installing True Type Fonts edgar OS X - Operating System 0 11-03-2004 12:08 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?