New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Imac 21.5" or second hand 24"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Shroppy

Shroppy is on a distinguished road

hi i was wondering if anyone could help me chose which one is best for me,
i am a student so i qualify for the apple student discount so i could buy a imac 21.5" or i could be a second hand imac 24" on ebay,
at the moment i am leaning towards the 24" as my dad has a hp monitor with the same screen as the imac 24" and that is amazing
help please.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

If you really like/prefer a larger monitor...you could consider getting a refurbished 27" iMac from the Apple Store:

Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor - Apple Store (U.S.)

Just $200-$300 more than the base model 21.5" iMac.

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Shroppy

Shroppy is on a distinguished road

thanks im wondering whether that is a bit to big because my desk is relatively small compared
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Well, you certainly can't take the 27" iMac with you to Starbucks.... But in reality it's not that much larger than the 21.5" iMac. Go into a local Best Buy or Apple store and look at them side by side. You'll see what I mean.
QUOTE Thanks
Scott Baret

Scott Baret has a spectacular aura about

When it comes to everyday computers, I always recommend buying new. You'll get a fresh system without wear plus you'll have Apple's factory warranty intact. When you buy a used machine, you never know how it was used by the previous owner. Think of this like a used car--sometimes the car was driven every other Tuesday for a 5 mile round trip, sometimes it was driven on a 27 mile commute through rush hour by an individual with a lead foot on a daily basis. The same applies for computers--components such as hard drives may have been used excessively over time and thus have a greater chance of failing earlier.

It's fine to buy an extra computer (i.e. not for daily use) or vintage computer used under most circumstances, but please be aware of the risks of purchasing from third party sellers. Think of a refurbished Apple machine as a "certified used car"--it's been inspected and has a lesser chance of failure, but the components have still accumulated wear and tear not present in a new model.

Although the extra screen size is tempting, the 21.5" should be adequate for most purposes (although there are some exceptions--what are you planning on using this computer for?) and will likely fit on your desk without a problem. The 27" model is almost too large for a home or student user, although there are again exceptions depending on the machine's expected uses.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My iMac 2.66ghz 20" 2009's CPU fan clicking? | New mac user. »