New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Safe Boot on Emac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

smstearns2032

smstearns2032 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I have an E-Mac 1.25 GB G4. The only way I can boot it without having the system crash with in the first few minutes is to perform a safe boot. The odd thing is I have wiped the hard-drive clean and also have a clean install of another operating system on an external hard-drive connected through fire-wire.

Whether I boot from the external or internal hard-drive the machine only works in "safe boot" mode.

While the machine works fine this way I don't have sound so I'd like to resolve the issue and be able to boot the system normally again.

Does anyone have any suggestions for trouble shooting this issue? What exactly is turned off during safe boot that is otherwise on at start up?

I'm running 10.4 from the external and 10.3 from the internal hard-drive.

Thanks for the help.....Steve
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Post a copy of the crash log or kernel panic so we can take a look at it. If you can't run normally from either the internal or external hard drive, that may indicate a hardware problem. Normally when a machine only works in safe mode, there's a driver or software conflict that's causing the problem.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smstearns2032 View Post
What exactly is turned off during safe boot that is otherwise on at start up?
Safe Boot has "only drivers necessary for mounting root or operating the system’s user interface are loaded." ie, lots of hardware drivers aren't loaded.

Is there any possibility you have installed 10.4 from a gray, specific-model DVD that doesn't match the computer type?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Pro or iMac i7? | Play Crysis 2 on a iMac via External Graphic Card »