New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

New mac user.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

IMACFAN15

IMACFAN15 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac g3 500Mhz

Hi, I am new to the mac world, and just got an imac g3. It seems to run fine, in fact it is the one I am using currently. I was just wondering what is the maximum OS this can handle, and what is the maximum ram it can handle. I do know that it is a slot loading imac, but I cannot find the year, model, or anything on it. Also, how would I put firefox on this machine, and what version would I need? Thanks, Dan.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

You can't run Snow Leopard, as it's Intel only, and you have a PPC. How much RAM does it have now?

Do you have the OS installation disc for the current OS?
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

If it is the iMac DV slot loading machine then the maximum RAM would be 1.0GB, Maximum OS would be 10.3 or 10.4 if it's 400mhz.
I wouldn't recommend Firefox as Firefox is a resource hungry browser, try something "lite".

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Try running Panther OS X.3 and iCab 4.8 as your browser.

http://www.icab.de/dl.php

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
IMACFAN15

IMACFAN15 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac g3 500Mhz

Ok, I had to take back the imac to the store that I got it from. A CD got stuck in the tray. As it turns out the CD tray was bad, so the guy at the store offered me another imac, (slot loading), and it's graphite. This one is running 10.4.11, Tiger, has a 30GB HDD, and has 256MB of RAM. I am upgrading the ram to 1GB. This one runs a lot better than the last one. Also, if anyone was wondering, I do not have the restore disks or the installation disks, but it runs excellent for my main computer.
QUOTE Thanks
Scott Baret

Scott Baret has a spectacular aura about

You got a good deal here--the tray loading iMacs are notorious for their problematic CD-ROM drives and run considerably slower than the newer slot loading iMacs.

If you do wish to run Firefox, the current version (3.6) will run. It's a bit of a resource hog and you may find it a tad slow, but you can definitely use it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imac 21.5" or second hand 24" | Very odd problem with my Mac desktop »