New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Newbie - Help Please on Time Machine

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

quarkrad

quarkrad is on a distinguished road

I am about to buy a USB external drive to use as a backup drive for my minimac. It looks like Time Machine is the way forward but I have a few questions. From what I can make out after the initial backup you can set Time Machine to backup hourly, weekly, etc. I cannot find out if you have to set specific time or hows it works. Having done the initial backup - if I switch on the next day and download a few photos / surf the net for say 10 minutes and then switch off my minimac does Time Machine kick in and backup? Does Time Machine 'know' the mac has been switched on and so do a backup? I am worried that as I use the mac for sort periods, maybe every other day, Time Machine is not actually going to kick in and do a backup.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

If you are worried about the short times you use your machine that Time Machine is not going to be able to make a backup in time for you, you could manually start a backup when you login, then you know when it has done.

HTH
- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Mine back's up at the same time each day, which started 24 hours after my initial back up.
As said you can start them manually, so just make sure that you do it as you sign in, and you will be fine.
It will not back up while your mini is switched off.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
quarkrad

Thank you your replies - seems my worries are real. Is there a way of automating this? I know on Windoz or Linux machines backups can be done at all manner of times (specific time dates, power on, power off). Could time machine be 'launched into backup mode' automatically at power on or, preferably, at power off via something like a script? Or is there some other means of automatically backing up automatically at power off (not using time machine)?
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10

By default, Time Machine starts backing up at hourly intervals.
That is different than starting a backup on the hour.
If you are not logged on for more than 1 hour, chances are that Time Machine will kick in anyway in that short period. If it hasn't ..... launch it manually.

You can start scheduling a backup at a specific date/time, but then you will need to logon at that time as well.
Keep things simple I would say.

Cheers ...

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Dear quarkrad

In a way, you are grieving over nothing and making life difficult for yourself. (Sincerely no offence).

The concept behind Time Machine (TM) is that it takes the strain and you forget about it.

As McBie says, TM backs up by default. Let it, is my view.

The suggestions above get round the question of "what if TM hasn't scheduled a back up because my project took 40 minutes and then I shut down".

Easy - last thing you do when finished is Click on TM icon in Toolbar at top of screen. On the dropdown menu, Click "Back Up Now". When the icon has stopped turning anticlockwise, it's done.

Equally, and as well if you want, repeat the process each time you start up.

And then forget about it. Personally, I keep TM in the "on" position all the time; but others may turn it off and on according to need. One more thing to remember.

Good luck.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
quarkrad

All - thank you for your replies, much appreciated. I'm getting my head around the mac - yes I'm looking for the simple route. I am use to my Linux machine where, having chosen what I want backed up, it does it automatically for me each time I power down. I do not have to click on anything - it just does it. I was hoping there was similar for the mac - I guess there is not.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Different OS different way of doing things... there is always a learning curve and different ways of solving things.
Hopefully you'll come to enjoy and benefit from it though

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adding third internal hard drive to Mac Pro 1.1 | mac mini ram question »