New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Ram

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

coppola21

coppola21 is on a distinguished road

I want to install RAM on my iMac i only have 1GB of RAM and it seems to be running slower than before. I have heard that it is quite easy installing RAM and ive never have done this before but the only thing i was wondering is what type of RAM would i need to be compatible with my Mac. This is all my information if some one can refer me to a link of the type of RAM i would need to install.

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM61.0093.B07
SMC Version (system): 1.10f3
Serial Number (system): W86430J0VGP
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0016CBA16AEB
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Just go to one of these guys:

OWC
www.crucial.com

...and follow their online ram identification process...and everything will be good.

As far as the ram install. It's very easy. Go to here for instructions:

iFixit: The free repair manual

...as well as each website linked above has DIY install procedures/videos.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
coppola21

thanks! that helped out alot im gonna order it within the next few days thanks again!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppola21 View Post
thanks! that helped out alot im gonna order it within the next few days thanks again!!
You're welcome...good luck!

- Nick

p.s. FYI...both sites also have great prices & great return policies...two BIG reasons they are recommended.

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
coppola21

hahah i know the price really made up my mind!! thanks alot again i appreciate it, quick question, im running dual boot with linux that wouldnt be a reason it would be slower? because before i dual booted it was still slow so im not wasting my money on RAM right?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
hahah i know the price really made up my mind!! thanks alot again i appreciate it, quick question, im running dual boot with linux that wouldnt be a reason it would be slower? because before i dual booted it was still slow so im not wasting my money on RAM right?
Installing more ram is not always the solution to "slowness". But 1 gig of ram is a bit low these days...so upgrading the ram would probably help in this case.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
coppola21

thats what i figured, because i had i think 2 gigs of ram before but one gig for taken out because something was wrong with it so i figured if i put more in itll go back to what it was
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
thats what i figured, because i had i think 2 gigs of ram before but one gig for taken out because something was wrong with it so i figured if i put more in itll go back to what it was
If I got your iMac model correct...it can support up to 4 gig of ram...but only around 3 gig is addressable. Don't ask why...unless you want to start a discussion that will make your head explode!

You could upgrade to 2 gig of ram (with one more 1 gig stick of ram)....or buy two 2gig sticks of ram...which may be less expensive in the long run.

Just something to consider,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
coppola21

haha well ill believe you um the crucial site recommended i fill my other slot with 2GB because my first slot has 1GB of ram so i was planning on ordering one stick of 2GB and add it in my second slot, thats what it recommended so ill be running 3GB total, would that be the best option than?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
haha well ill believe you um the crucial site recommended i fill my other slot with 2GB because my first slot has 1GB of ram so i was planning on ordering one stick of 2GB and add it in my second slot, thats what it recommended so ill be running 3GB total, would that be the best option than?
Sounds good!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
coppola21

alright!! ill be ordering that immediately! thanks alot for your help! i greatly appreciate it!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

You're welcome. Enjoy the ram upgrade!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« It went "poof" | building mac mini »