New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

building mac mini

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BulletproofBob

BulletproofBob is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone, great help.

I am probably going to pick up a mac mini tonight, and order 2x4GB ram sticks for tomorrow from one of my distributors.

One thing I didn't get answered, is the processor difference between the stock one and the upgraded 2.66 that big of a deal? $150 seems steep for the processor jump, the memory & hard disk I can do cheap since I already have Raptor X drives and the memory third party is probably super cheap. I'll buy the processor upgrade if it is significant boost, but if not I would rather not waste the money.

What is your take on the One on One Service for $99. I am extremely gifted with computers, but I have no experience with MacOS, I assuming I will be fine and the One on One service is likely to be very basic for me, but $99 is fairly cheap when it comes to training if I can book hour long sessions as I need throughout a year.
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

I would save my money on the processor and skip the One on One. That's why we are here. If you are truly "gifted" it will be a walk in the park. May the force be with you.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletproofBob View Post

One thing I didn't get answered, is the processor difference between the stock one and the upgraded 2.66 that big of a deal? $150 seems steep for the processor jump...
I agree with "mdfuller" that it's probably not worth it. But also remember that the cpu in Mac-mini's is NOT upgradeable. So when you buy one...you're stuck with what you got.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
BulletproofBob

How would a mac mini (w/ 8GB ram, raptor X 10K RPM drive) compare to an iMac? Are the iMac's a whole lot faster reguardless, or will the mac mini give me a good experience?

I am a heavy demanding user, but I don't want to drop $2,500-$4,000 on a Mac Pro without playing with it for a while and see if I like it. I am a hardcore Windows user (although I use Linux a lot for server environments) but I really want to try MacOS and see how it compares.

I thought about buying a mid level iMac but I really don't want another screen if I can avoid it. I know a lot of people go the Mac Book route, but I just don't want to be using Photoshop & Lightroom off a laptop, even if I route a real keyboard/mouse/monitor laptops are typically much slower than equivalent desktop and a lot more expensive.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletproofBob View Post
How would a mac mini (w/ 8GB ram, raptor X 10K RPM drive) compare to an iMac? Are the iMac's a whole lot faster reguardless, or will the mac mini give me a good experience?
The biggest difference between a $699 Mac-mini...and most of the iMacs is the graphics hardware. The graphics hardware in the iMacs are superior.

$699 for a new Mac-Mini is a "bargin basement" price in the world of Macintosh computers. If you want a "better" Macintosh computer...you're going to have to spend more $$$!

If you want a more "quantitative" approach...take a look at these benchmark numbers (they don't include graphics benchmarks):

http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/mac-benchmarks/

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
BulletproofBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
The biggest difference between a $699 Mac-mini...and most of the iMacs is the graphics hardware. The graphics hardware in the iMacs are superior.

$699 for a new Mac-Mini is a "bargin basement" price in the world of Macintosh computers. If you want a "better" Macintosh computer...you're going to have to spend more $$$!

- Nick
I understand about the bargin price. I am not expecting a Mac Pro, I was really just wondering what is really different. I don't need the monitor as I have a really high end IPS monitor as my main monitor. I know the CPU is a bit slower but I would have 8GB in it.

Is the graphics card on the Mac Mini poor, or just not as good as the iMac? Would I run into many problems with Photoshop/Lightroom and perhaps Final Cut or mainly in gaming?

Can the Mac Mini video card really support any games? I am a heavy gamer but would continue to use my Windows box for gaming, even if I went to a Mac Pro ultimately, so few games run on it I don't ever think gaming will be a concern to me.

Does the difference in video card performance show up in just using MacOS or is it doing things like CAD, Gaming, or anything else that is heavy on the video card?
QUOTE Thanks
BulletproofBob

Well I just came back from the apple store with an iMac.
I talked them down something like $350 so I just went that route. The display actually looks better than my $600 HP monitor. Still not sure how much I will like the Mac, but will see.

Thanks everyone for your speedy opinions.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ram | Adding third internal hard drive to Mac Pro 1.1 »