New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

3 monitors on an iMac problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

spondootre

spondootre will become famous soon enough

Hi Everyone,

I have taken the step of removing my annoying error filled PC systems from my business and replaced with MACs which I have used at home for a number of years.

With my PC setup I had had a main display monitor which showed my main desktop directly in front of me, then a smaller monitor facing toward me and to the side of the main one which was a duplicate of another monitor which was mounted on the ceiling facing away from me, this was so that I could slide images, video etc onto the monitor at the side of my main screen and show customers these images etc.....

OK so I have replaced my PC with an iMac and have the main computer/monitor and these 2 other screens connected to it, one connected via a USB display port and another via the mini displayport with a vga adapter. I can use the other 2 displays as extensions to my desktop, or can mirror all 3. But I cant seem to mirror the 2 sub monitors and have the main monitor seperately within the normal monitor prefs, can anyone help! I really need to set this up as I don't want to mirror all the displays as when a customer comes to look at something on the main screen it means hiding all of the other information I may be working on before showing them as the monitor facing away from me is always on show, this is something which was easily setup on the windows environment and hopefully is possible on a mac too!....

Hopefully someone can offer a solution and i'm just being thick.....

MAC OS 10.6.6, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
QUOTE Thanks
spondootre

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am stumped with this one and really need it to work if possible?!?!
QUOTE Thanks
spondootre

OK, problem solved!!

I took a trip to a genius bar and......

With 3 monitors showing on the display preferences pane, make one main with the dock and the other 2 as extended desktops, then hold "alt" and click n drag one of the extended desktops on top of the other.... done

hopefully this will help someone out!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Nice - Thanks for reporting back - had no idea you could do that.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
spondootre

No problem....I couldn't find reference to doing that anywhere, all articles just talked about mirroring all or extended desktops! So happy it is resolved now! I can now quite happily use the mac inplace of the PC!!
QUOTE Thanks
qipaco

qipaco is on a distinguished road

Hey thanks for the info. I am also trying to hook up 2 extra monitors to my iMac. Can you please clarify the connections you used. 1 - Mini DisplayPort and 2 - USB? What kind of adapter is needed for that?

How is it working out. I called Apple tech support they told me that iMac graphic card wont support two extra monitors only one.

THANKS!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by qipaco View Post
Hey thanks for the info. I am also trying to hook up 2 extra monitors to my iMac. Can you please clarify the connections you used. 1 - Mini DisplayPort and 2 - USB? What kind of adapter is needed for that?

How is it working out. I called Apple tech support they told me that iMac graphic card wont support two extra monitors only one.

THANKS!
This is an example of a device to run an extra monitor via USB.

OWC VIDU2DVIA USB to DVI/HDMI/VGA Video Display (Up... $49.99 at OWC

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
SBDTHRU

SBDTHRU will become famous soon enough

Triple Monitor iMac
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Resolution too high made monitor blackout | smbios.plist Assiatance! »