New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMAC G5 Tries to Start, Screen darkens and Fans run FULL speed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hammertimeinaz

hammertimeinaz is on a distinguished road

Hi- New to this forum but not to macs. I have an IMac G5 17" 1.8ghz, that is the original non-isight that turns on, grey screen starts, ten wheel runs for about 3-10 secs, screen goes blank and nothing else...I have tried to replace the caps on the system board via Jim Warholic's directions and still have the same problem. Tried using original system discs and booting from those but same thing happens. Screen goes dark but not black...any ideas???

Thanks Hammertimeaz
QUOTE Thanks
hammertimeinaz

Hi- New to this forum but not to macs. I have an IMac G5 17" 1.8ghz, that is the original non-isight that turns on, grey screen starts, ten wheel runs for about 3-10 secs, screen goes blank and nothing else...I have tried to replace the caps on the system board via Jim Warholic's directions and still have the same problem. Tried using original system discs and booting from those but same thing happens. Screen goe dark but not black...any ideas???

Thanks Hammertimeaz
QUOTE Thanks
hammertimeinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertimeinaz View Post
Hi- New to this forum but not to macs. I have an IMac G5 17" 1.8ghz, that is the original non-isight that turns on, grey screen starts, ten wheel runs for about 3-10 secs, screen goes blank and nothing else...I have tried to replace the caps on the system board via Jim Warholic's directions and still have the same problem. Tried using original system discs and booting from those but same thing happens. Screen goe dark but not black...any ideas???

Thanks Hammertimeaz
The unit will boot in safe mode, repaired permissions, repaired disk, still no luck. The safe mode comes up and tells me my date is wrong but that's just a battery thing, right? I will replace it this eve when I return from work but I cannot see that really being the problem? Also, at the very end of the safe boot, the screen was "scratchy" and had lines as if the monitor was going out but as soon as the OS came up, the liens went away...this one has me stumped. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
hammertimeinaz

The unit will boot in safe mode, repaired permissions, repaired disk, still no luck. The safe mode comes up and tells me my date is wrong but that's just a battery thing, right? I will replace it this eve when I return from work but I cannot see that really being the problem? Also, at the very end of the safe boot, the screen was "scratchy" and had lines as if the monitor was going out but as soon as the OS came up, the liens went away...this one has me stumped. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

i dont know if this will help, but

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

First change the battery and see if that helps. Also, you stated that you replaced capacitors according to Jim's directions but have the same problem. Were the capacitors swollen or did any burst? And, did you replace all of them? The reason I ask is that you may have a power supply problem.

I'm sure that one of our G5 knowledgeable folks will tune in here and offer some better advice. So stay tuned and let us know how you're progressing.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

And do not cross post! Posting the same thread to multiple forums causes confusion and clutters the forums. Your threads have been merged.
QUOTE Thanks
hammertimeinaz

I have tried the PRAM and NVRAM with No luck. Thanks though...

The 3 of the first 5 that Jim Warholic shows were popped, a little snerge but none got on the MB. So I replaced all 5 of those. I also noticed this am that the screen seemed to have a bunch of white lines on it but they seemed to change their appearance when I changed the resolution of the screen. When you say that it might be the power supply...does the iMac use less power in Safe mode? I have the screen maxed, ran diags on the hardware and all is OK. I almost feel like its a video issue but not smart enough on these things.

Thanks for any assistance!
QUOTE Thanks
hammertimeinaz

Replaced battery, no luck...Im thinking about the hard drive next, does ANYBODY have ANY ideas? Thanks HammertimeinAZ
QUOTE Thanks
rmecheski

rmecheski is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same issue with the same computer. did you ever resolve this?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
hammertimeinaz

Yes, broke down and sent my Power supply to a guy in NY to fix. His turn time was excellent and it only cost 60 for the repair. Well worth it b/c I was stumped and had no more time to be messing around with it. Here is his link...Good luck and let me know! Hammertime~

Chris Wiesner
National Ram Electronics
920 Terry Hill Road
Alpine NY 14805

607-594-4084
http://natramelec.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why will vuze not install now ?? | Using G4 iMac As Second Monitor For Current iMac »