New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

sleep mode not functioning since snow leopard upgrade...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Scotty6

Scotty6 is on a distinguished road

Hey All, recently upgraded to snow leopard. ever since, my mac doesn't want to seem to go into sleep mode. i have screen saver set to go on after 10 minutes, and energy savings set for hard drive and monitor shut down after 30 mins.

when i come back to my computer after say an hour, the screen is on with desktop showing, no screen saver. perhaps another hour later, the screen saver will be on but not in sleep mode.

when i go to bed, i will manually put in sleep mode, and wake up in the morning and the screen is on...

only thing i have running is time machine, and before i upgraded to snow, time machine only backed up when the computer was on and not sleeping. it seems as if it wakes itself up to run time machine perhaps?

thanks for any help . suggestions...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Try turning off Time Machine or just unplug your external drive. There is no reason to have TM running and backing up every hour anyway. Plug in the external when you want TM to run.

If that doesn't work, there may be something else that's preventing the machine from staying in sleep mode.
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Totally agree with chscag.

One remotely possible solution is to go into Preferences - Energy Saver - and Untick "Wake for Network Access". Theoretically, this shouldn't make a difference, but worth trying.

Otherwise, and in addition, go with chscag.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

Lots of posts about this on the support forums. iMacs won't sleep, won't wake, all sorts of issues. It's why I'm waiting before buying a new Mac.

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Are you using a wireless mouse? If so, try turning it off and see if that has any effect. I've found vibrations can keep the mouse awake, and in turn, keep the machine awake.

Since it only started since upgrading to 10.6, you may also want to try resetting the PRAM. This is done by powering the machine off. Then, power it on and immediately press and hold Command + Option + P + R. Continue holding until the system chimes twice and then release.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imac 27 inch box | please advice imac 27" screen »