sleep mode not functioning since snow leopard upgrade...
    Hey All, recently upgraded to snow leopard. ever since, my mac doesn't want to seem to go into sleep mode. i have screen saver set to go on after 10 minutes, and energy savings set for hard drive and monitor shut down after 30 mins.

when i come back to my computer after say an hour, the screen is on with desktop showing, no screen saver. perhaps another hour later, the screen saver will be on but not in sleep mode.

when i go to bed, i will manually put in sleep mode, and wake up in the morning and the screen is on...

only thing i have running is time machine, and before i upgraded to snow, time machine only backed up when the computer was on and not sleeping. it seems as if it wakes itself up to run time machine perhaps?

thanks for any help . suggestions...

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Try turning off Time Machine or just unplug your external drive. There is no reason to have TM running and backing up every hour anyway. Plug in the external when you want TM to run.

If that doesn't work, there may be something else that's preventing the machine from staying in sleep mode.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Mavericks) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Maver
    Totally agree with chscag.

One remotely possible solution is to go into Preferences - Energy Saver - and Untick "Wake for Network Access". Theoretically, this shouldn't make a difference, but worth trying.

Otherwise, and in addition, go with chscag.

Bournville, UK
    Lots of posts about this on the support forums. iMacs won't sleep, won't wake, all sorts of issues. It's why I'm waiting before buying a new Mac.

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
    Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro

Lake Mary, Florida
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Are you using a wireless mouse? If so, try turning it off and see if that has any effect. I've found vibrations can keep the mouse awake, and in turn, keep the machine awake.

Since it only started since upgrading to 10.6, you may also want to try resetting the PRAM. This is done by powering the machine off. Then, power it on and immediately press and hold Command + Option + P + R. Continue holding until the system chimes twice and then release.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Thread Information