New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

27" i5 iMac (Mid 2010) Hard Drive Grinding Noise

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

the awakening

the awakening is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid 2010 27" iMac 2.8GHz i5, 4GB, 1TB HDD, 1GB Radeon HD 5750

So my 27" i5 (Mid 2010) iMac's 1TB HD is making noises from when it starts up until I shut it off. It sounds like a stomach grumbling, like computers did in the early 90's. The noise happens even when doing extremely light work on the computer such as checking email.

I got my first iMac replaced for this exact grinding noise. Now my replacement is making the noise. My G4 and G5 iMacs are both considerably less loud than this brand new $2000 machine. I find it completely unacceptable and really distracting. Anyone else have this problem?

My hard drive model number is: WDC WD1001FALS-40Y6A0
QUOTE Thanks
ThePope43

ThePope43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|

Have you contacted Apple on this problem yet?

Don't forget the +reputation button on the left!
QUOTE Thanks
the awakening

the awakening is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid 2010 27" iMac 2.8GHz i5, 4GB, 1TB HDD, 1GB Radeon HD 5750

I have. Usually they tell me that it is "normal" for hard drives to make noises. Which is true of course. However, this is not your average ticking. I go to college full time with no Apple store close to me. My iMac is the life-blood of my education. I can't go without it for even a day considering most of my assignments are posted online.

For that reason, I had it "repaired" the first time over my Christmas break,which wound up turning into a month long debacle because Apple didn't have this part and that part. After weeks of waiting, I demanded a replacement.

I am mostly looking to find someone with a 27" iMac without this noise and find out their HD model number. I've heard its only certain HDs that do this in the new iMacs.
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

I have an i7, 27 inch iMac with 1 TB HD and, checking now, it has exactly the same model number as yours.

Noises are difficult to describe or quantify and ignored by some whilst others are driven crazy.

If it helps at all, I can only say is that I have never heard any noise from my HD since new last year.

Sorry can't assist more.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
ClockworkWorld

ClockworkWorld has a spectacular aura about

Mine is a i7 2TB model with a HDD made by Hitachi, so it won't be of much use but I can say mine has never made a noise like that, only softly "clicking" when it's working hard, like transferring a large file to the external. But a friend of mine has a 2010 i5 with the 1TB HDD, I will ask him later today if it's ever made a noise like that.

Late 2010 iMac 27 inch  2.93GHz i7 16GB RAM 2TB HDD
2011 Macbook Pro 17 inch Glossy  2.3GHz Quad-core i7 8GB RAM 750GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

I have the Samsung hd103sj 1tb in mine. Quiet have never herd it.

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
daniellew

daniellew is on a distinguished road

I am having the same exact problem! I bought my iMac, 27in, i3 in September 2010 and up until recently, it was running extremely fast and perfect. Lately, it's been slower and just the last couple weeks I noticed the really obnoxious grinding noise, just like a stomach gurgling, whenever I do anything on the computer, not just intensive things.

Any time something changes and I notice big differences with the computer, I always want to try and solve them. I hope this isn't a massive issue because like most people, I depend on my computer for work.

My hard drive model number is: ST31000528AS
QUOTE Thanks
harvey3178

harvey3178 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have an iMac 27" i7 with the standard 1TB drive, the grumble noise most people describe i also have and can say this is perfectly normal, there is no fault with this drive, now the noise i refer to is a grumble and only can be heard when the hard drive is in use. Please note that not every iMac will act the same nor make the exact same sounds, they are all different. The noise i hear does not concern me as the mac is super fast and works just as it should. There is tests you can perform if you feel something is wrong.

iMac 27" i7 8G , MBP 15" i7 8G , iPad 64 3G , iPhone 4 32G
QUOTE Thanks
daniellew

daniellew is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey3178 View Post
Hi,

I have an iMac 27" i7 with the standard 1TB drive, the grumble noise most people describe i also have and can say this is perfectly normal, there is no fault with this drive, now the noise i refer to is a grumble and only can be heard when the hard drive is in use. Please note that not every iMac will act the same nor make the exact same sounds, they are all different. The noise i hear does not concern me as the mac is super fast and works just as it should. There is tests you can perform if you feel something is wrong.
Hi Harvey. I read what you said about not being concerned about the noise. I'm not really concerned, because I've heard the sound before, but it was only once in a while when the computer was working very hard on something, and even then, I would only hear it occasionally. What bothers me is I hear the noise all the time now, no matter what the computer is doing, and even when I'm not using it and it's just sitting there. It becomes annoying and disruptive because all I notice is the sound and not what I'm doing. This can't just be normal because I have other macs that are extremely quiet, even when working hard.
QUOTE Thanks
lionjill

lionjill is on a distinguished road

I just hate the grinding/growling noise from my iMac. I thought it was the security software scan making the noise - but it continues even after the scan is finished. I have resorted to playing music to cover the sound up. Surely there is a way to make it not so annoying.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Loud noises from the harddrive should not be ignored as it could be an indication of potential failure..

I have a Late 2009 27" i7 iMac with a Seagate ST31000528ASQ 1TB harddrive. Every time I hear the HD it is the subtle "tumbling" sound that a hard drive makes as it's accessing data. It shouldn't be much louder than that.

The loudest part of my iMac are the fans and that IS something I would consider covering with music..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac G5 Cross Model Compatibility | Looking for a quiet and fast external drive...Any recommendations? »