New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Wireless networks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

terry57

terry57 is on a distinguished road

My signal keeps drifting to another wireless network, I guess one of my neighbors. Can I program my mac to ONLY recognize my AIRPORT WIRELESS. The other signals do not show up in my system preferences network file, just in the upper right wireless signal bar. I cannot seem to get rid of them.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

You should be able to delete that network from System Preferences => Network => Select AirPort in the left pane => Click Advanced => Find the network name in the list, select it and click the "-" button to remove it.

You might also want to let your neighbor know that their network is not secured and that they are opening themselves up to fraud, identity theft, legal issues and potentially data loss.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

Yeah that is a fun problem my boss ran into with an unsecured network. He received a call from the FBI of all places due to his network being used for fraudulent activities.

They dialed into his PC to clear him of the problem and tracked the mac address to a neighbor and then helped him secure it. what a story if you ask me but I believe it to be true.

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If you have an open network and a neighbor hops on it and uses it for illegal activities, you may have a difficult time explaining to the authorities when they come knocking on your door. Worse... they can confiscate your computer and assume you're the guilty one until you can prove otherwise.

Always use the strongest possible encryption available. WPA2 (If possible.)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adding and external sound card to an imac | HD Upgrade for imc 4,1 »