New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

PowerMac G5 - dvd drive invisible in finder and cant/wont eject

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

calculuscat

calculuscat is on a distinguished road

I have a second hand PowerMac G5 Power PC - one of the liquid cooled ones I believe. It is running Tiger OS. When I first recieved it I found that the DVD RW drive was not showing up in finder, and the manual eject was not working either. I have taken it to an authorised mac repair centre who have fitted a new dvd drive and told me the new one works fine.. yet I am still having the same problem!!!

I am using a pc usb keyboard and mouse at the moment I am just wondering is the fact that I have not got a mac keyboard connected anything to do with my problem here? That seems a bit strange to me, but what is also strange is that the previous owner and the mac shop both assured me that the drive worked fine!

I am obviously a massive noob to macs

someone help please
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Does the new Superdrive appear in Apple System Profiler? If not then there is something wrong. First up try running Repair Permissions, and if that fails try a Mac keyboard and mouse. It should run from the PC board but who knows?

Last option just take it back and show he installer it is not working.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
calculuscat

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Does the new Superdrive appear in Apple System Profiler? If not then there is something wrong. First up try running Repair Permissions, and if that fails try a Mac keyboard and mouse. It should run from the PC board but who knows?

Last option just take it back and show he installer it is not working.
Thanks

It shows up in the system profiler, just not on the finder and I can't get it to eject. will try doing the repair permissions. How else can I make the drive eject without using the mac keyboard?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Install an eject button in your Menu bar to open and close the Superdrive.

To do this go to Macintosh HD > System > Library > Core Services > Menu Extras and there will be a file named "Eject.menu". Double click this file and the eject button will appear in the menu bar.

To see the disc on the desktop, go into Finder > Preferences and make sure the button to show CD's is selected.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
calculuscat

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Install an eject button in your Menu bar to open and close the Superdrive.

To do this go to Macintosh HD > System > Library > Core Services > Menu Extras and there will be a file named "Eject.menu". Double click this file and the eject button will appear in the menu bar.

To see the disc on the desktop, go into Finder > Preferences and make sure the button to show CD's is selected.
did both of these, pre and post 'repair' no joy

wats up!?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Last option alas - back to the repairer.

You should know beforehand the liquid cooled G5's had lots of problems with coolant leaking which corroded the logic board and caused all sorts of problems. Overall a good model to avoid alas as time goes by chances increase of this leakage.

QUOTE Thanks
supernova777

supernova777 is on a distinguished road

hello + good day all!
im on an old PowerMac7,2, 4gb ram, running 10.4.11
computer works great for what im using it for which is some light recording.. some vsts in cubase.. etc
my problem is the same as the original posters.. The dvd drive always dissappears from the finder.. when i reboot it seems to work for about 5-10-15 min .. but then if i want to eject the disc i have to reboot again. please.. i dont want to spend any money on this old rusy bucket of bolts.. but if someone could tell me how to fix this nuisance of a problem.. what the hell is going on here?? is it the actual dvddrive failing? the cable? because.. if you ask me, I believe it to be some type of software error. ive only seen this happen on tiger with the powermac g5 + imac g5... ive never seen it happen on panther, In fact i think on the same machine if i boot into panther.. the cd works 100% fine and never locks up like this... I cant even run toast which is the major problem, because i use it to mount disc images.. I could get by without using the dvd if i could at least run toast.. but trying to run toast locks up.. trying to do anything related to the cd.. will freeze.. if i open terminal and do drutil eject. it just hangs.. does nothing.. there is obviously some peice of software doing this. perhaps it is toast itself that caused it in the first place? that almost makes sense.. the version of toast i have installed is version 8. perhaps ill roll back to 7,6,5 maybe even 4 and see how i make out..
will report back my findings!
QUOTE Thanks
supernova777

supernova777 is on a distinguished road

i think i may be correct in that toast titanium 8 could have been to blame for the problem in the first place.. so far i just reverted back to toast 6.0.5 and all seems to be working!! im amazed i was able to solve the case elementary my dear watson
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Performance is worse than ever! Unbelievably horrible. | SSD to Mac Mini »