macguy.nielsen
    Question Ministat CPU Heat Widget
    I was wondering if anyone else uses this widget with their iMac G5's? To download it go here : http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashb...nicpuheat.html . I just want to know your average temperature, it seems mine jumps around a lot from 50 Celsius to 69 Celsius... I have a feeling this widget does not read the temperature correctly. If anyone of you use this widget I'd like to see your results.

BTW I have an iMac G5 20" RevB.

Ministat CPU Heat Widget

Specs:
    iMac 2 GHz, 20"
    I also have a revB iMac 20" and the temp is between 65-68 Celsius... not fully stable but definitelly not changing that much...

cheers - pistooli
    MacBook Pro, 2.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Tiger 10.4.x

Ministat CPU Heat Widget
    Specs:
    iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
    I too have an iMac 20" rev B. I actually just downloaded that widget today before reading this post. I was surprised to see that mine is registering around 82 degrees celsius. I'm only running iChat, iTunes, and Safari. I don't understand why it's so hot. I'm really kind of bummed. I think I might delete it just because I don't like seeing that so much.

Taylor

macguy.nielsen
    Ya I have a feeling that it is bugged with the iMac G5. Cause if a processor is running between 70-80 degrees that is a problem.

Ministat CPU Heat Widget
    Specs:
    iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
    I'd just like to say that after my computer has slept for about 16 hours or so the CPU temp has gone down to a relatively steady 52 degrees. Is this normal? I really know nothing about CPU heat but I know that my former 80+ degrees was just plain scary. Thanks.

macguy.nielsen
    Ya that is a little strange WasabiTaylor. When I checked my iMac CPU heat this morning after it was sleeping all night it was at 21.5 degrees and when it is running with minimal programs its around 45-50 degrees. What I am wondering is if the iMacs that have 512 MB of ram or less will heat up more considering that more resources go to the CPU for power. This is pure speculation but it is a possibility. I am also inclined to believe that the widget is not entirely trustworthy. If your CPU is running that hot all the time you'd be able to feel a considerable amount of heat on the case around the CPU. You also may want to check and make sure that your vents are properly venting from bottom to top (dust clog, etc). Anyways thats my "out-on-a-limb-speculation"

Berman
    ppc's run very hot. when im doing something processor intensive, it'll run up to 70-72 degrees celsius. i think 75c is the max operating temp for a ppc before they slow down to get rid of the heat.

Ministat CPU Heat Widget

Specs:
    20" iMac core2Duo 2.4Ghz 4GB ram
    yeah, I've heard of g3/4's getting even to 90-100C I think and they were running just fine.

Thread Information