New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Ministat CPU Heat Widget

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macguy.nielsen

I was wondering if anyone else uses this widget with their iMac G5's? To download it go here : http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashb...nicpuheat.html . I just want to know your average temperature, it seems mine jumps around a lot from 50 Celsius to 69 Celsius... I have a feeling this widget does not read the temperature correctly. If anyone of you use this widget I'd like to see your results.

BTW I have an iMac G5 20" RevB.
QUOTE Thanks
pistooli

pistooli is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2 GHz, 20"

I also have a revB iMac 20" and the temp is between 65-68 Celsius... not fully stable but definitelly not changing that much...

cheers - pistooli

MacBook Pro, 2.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Tiger 10.4.x
QUOTE Thanks
WasabiTaylor

WasabiTaylor is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse

I too have an iMac 20" rev B. I actually just downloaded that widget today before reading this post. I was surprised to see that mine is registering around 82 degrees celsius. I'm only running iChat, iTunes, and Safari. I don't understand why it's so hot. I'm really kind of bummed. I think I might delete it just because I don't like seeing that so much.

Taylor
QUOTE Thanks
macguy.nielsen

Ya I have a feeling that it is bugged with the iMac G5. Cause if a processor is running between 70-80 degrees that is a problem.
QUOTE Thanks
WasabiTaylor

WasabiTaylor is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse

I'd just like to say that after my computer has slept for about 16 hours or so the CPU temp has gone down to a relatively steady 52 degrees. Is this normal? I really know nothing about CPU heat but I know that my former 80+ degrees was just plain scary. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
macguy.nielsen

Ya that is a little strange WasabiTaylor. When I checked my iMac CPU heat this morning after it was sleeping all night it was at 21.5 degrees and when it is running with minimal programs its around 45-50 degrees. What I am wondering is if the iMacs that have 512 MB of ram or less will heat up more considering that more resources go to the CPU for power. This is pure speculation but it is a possibility. I am also inclined to believe that the widget is not entirely trustworthy. If your CPU is running that hot all the time you'd be able to feel a considerable amount of heat on the case around the CPU. You also may want to check and make sure that your vents are properly venting from bottom to top (dust clog, etc). Anyways thats my "out-on-a-limb-speculation"
QUOTE Thanks
Berman

ppc's run very hot. when im doing something processor intensive, it'll run up to 70-72 degrees celsius. i think 75c is the max operating temp for a ppc before they slow down to get rid of the heat.
QUOTE Thanks
aeiou

aeiou is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac core2Duo 2.4Ghz 4GB ram

yeah, I've heard of g3/4's getting even to 90-100C I think and they were running just fine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AGP 8X cards in a MDD G4 (Mirrordoor) | G3 Tower Cd rom drive replacement »