New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac Memory

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bobmarker

bobmarker is on a distinguished road

Hi there.

I'm a PC... But just got a new iMac. I'm having a hard time understanding which memory works on my iMac.

I have this exact same iMac Refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor - Apple Store (U.S.)

and I want to put 16 GB Ram in there. Will this memory fit/work with my iMac?

Newegg.com - iRam 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 ECC Memory for Apple iMac Model IR8GSO1333D3K

Or is there something better and cheaper out there? I see a bunch of cheaper memory but they make no mention of iMac, just SO-DIMM
QUOTE Thanks
bobmarker

bobmarker is on a distinguished road

Will any memory work for iMac like this? Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor - Apple Store (U.S.)

As long as it's called SO-DIMM?

I'm really confused. With PC you just match up the pin numbers and you're pretty much set.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Your iMac takes 204-pin (1333 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM Cards.
So Yes, those cards are compatible. I'm just a bit sceptic how good a quality they are, as I have never seen the brand iRam.

I'm not saying that they are no good, just if you want to be completely sure you have have a top quality RAM Brand, OWC has never let me down.
And I don't know how much it saves but I just saw that they have a memory trade-in program.
Memory up to 16GB for Apple iMac 2010 Models - 21.5" and 27" 2.8HGz to 3.3GHz DDR3 True PC3-10600 at OtherWorldComputing.com

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just check with the vendor of the RAM you're considering? Just tell them your Mac model and they'll send you the right RAM -- particularly if they're a Mac-friendly dealer in the first place (the only kind you should be supporting anyway!).

In the US I would recommend macsales.com, in Canada I'd suggest CanadaRAM.com.

You can also look here: Find great deals on Memory Cards and RAM for your Laptop, Desktop, or Netbook Computer
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

To be fair it's no different than with a PC really. Different motherboards use different types/speeds/latencys.

With any memory purchase you just need to make sure your getting the most suitable type for the motherboard that's installed.
Try the Crucial website, they have a look-up for PC and Macs alike.

It that particular Mac you have 4gb of 204-pin SODIMM DDR3 PC3-10600 (1333MHz)

It's currently got 2x2gb sticks and has four slots.

You could add another 2x2gb to take it to 8gb total or put 4x4gb in it to take it to it's max of 16gb

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

@bobmarker

Do not cross post. You posted this same question in two different forums. That causes confusion and unnecessary replies. Always post to the same thread and in the same forum.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Firefox keeps talking to me | Can emac run AA2 »