Specs:
    iMAc 1.8GHz PowerPC G5, 2GB, 10.5.8
    Shutdown after boot a few times...
    I came home and the machine was OFF (not asleep as I expect). Turned it on to boot, did something else, came back...it was off. Repeated again. Hmmm. Booted it and immediately I could, ran the Disk Utility.

Says "invalid extent entry" when I Verify Disk (Repair is grayed out, seems I'd have to boot from the OS Install DVD).

- Machine is a G5 iMac 20" 1.8GHz 2GB RAM OS10.5.8 with a 1TB Western Digital drive which is 2.5 years old (and has a 3 year warranty-yay)
    - I calculated the size of the Music and Photo folders: much slower than usual. Everything is slower than usual, from boot-up onwards. (And by this I mean even slower than the slowness I've complained about elsewhere)
    - CPU shows abnormally high usage. With just this window open in Safari and no other apps, it's showing nearly 30%. Just before, it climbed up near 100% and seemed to get stuck. Periodically that happens lately.
    - Yes, I back up-and I'm doing another increment right now while the machine is running!

A general question would be "once a drive loses a bit of info, is it starting to fail?"
    And more specifically, should I run out and replace this sucker right now?

Or ????
    Thanks!

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 3.3GHz, 512GB Flash, 16GB memory, OS X.11.4.
    Well how much free space is available? Suggest you need 10-1`5%for a drive to work anywhere near capacity. Also over heating can cause similar problems so it may pay to give he insides a good clean out.

Have you got the Leopard disc? Boot from that, go into Utilities and run Repair Disk and see what is reported.

Both remedies should these be the answer to your problem is to replace the drive.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    iMAc 1.8GHz PowerPC G5, 2GB, 10.5.8
    25% free space. I cleaned the insides when I swapped the drive, and the inlets and outlets aren't dirty. The case has a little play at bottom rear, maybe I'll see if it's really seated properly.

I booted from an older OS X disc (couldn't find the Leopard disc-does it matter which version?). Repair was still grayed out. I think there's a way to repair from the internal from Terminal (??). Dangerous a bit, but I'm not going to spend the cost of a new drive for whatever the program is that can also "repair." I am all backed up at least.

And the drive is still under warranty, so I suppose I can send it in.

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 3.3GHz, 512GB Flash, 16GB memory, OS X.11.4.
    Would keep looking for the Leopard disc. An older disc will not be able to assist you. As for repairibng hard drive from Terminal

http://macguru.biz/macosxreapair.html
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information