New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Shutdown after boot a few times...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Head_Unit

Head_Unit will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMAc 1.8GHz PowerPC G5, 2GB, 10.5.8

I came home and the machine was OFF (not asleep as I expect). Turned it on to boot, did something else, came back...it was off. Repeated again. Hmmm. Booted it and immediately I could, ran the Disk Utility.

Says "invalid extent entry" when I Verify Disk (Repair is grayed out, seems I'd have to boot from the OS Install DVD).

- Machine is a G5 iMac 20" 1.8GHz 2GB RAM OS10.5.8 with a 1TB Western Digital drive which is 2.5 years old (and has a 3 year warranty-yay)
- I calculated the size of the Music and Photo folders: much slower than usual. Everything is slower than usual, from boot-up onwards. (And by this I mean even slower than the slowness I've complained about elsewhere)
- CPU shows abnormally high usage. With just this window open in Safari and no other apps, it's showing nearly 30%. Just before, it climbed up near 100% and seemed to get stuck. Periodically that happens lately.
- Yes, I back up-and I'm doing another increment right now while the machine is running!

A general question would be "once a drive loses a bit of info, is it starting to fail?"
And more specifically, should I run out and replace this sucker right now?

Or ????
Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Well how much free space is available? Suggest you need 10-1`5%for a drive to work anywhere near capacity. Also over heating can cause similar problems so it may pay to give he insides a good clean out.

Have you got the Leopard disc? Boot from that, go into Utilities and run Repair Disk and see what is reported.

Both remedies should these be the answer to your problem is to replace the drive.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Head_Unit

Head_Unit will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMAc 1.8GHz PowerPC G5, 2GB, 10.5.8

25% free space. I cleaned the insides when I swapped the drive, and the inlets and outlets aren't dirty. The case has a little play at bottom rear, maybe I'll see if it's really seated properly.

I booted from an older OS X disc (couldn't find the Leopard disc-does it matter which version?). Repair was still grayed out. I think there's a way to repair from the internal from Terminal (??). Dangerous a bit, but I'm not going to spend the cost of a new drive for whatever the program is that can also "repair." I am all backed up at least.

And the drive is still under warranty, so I suppose I can send it in.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Would keep looking for the Leopard disc. An older disc will not be able to assist you. As for repairibng hard drive from Terminal

http://macguru.biz/macosxreapair.html

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Automator wont run..? | carbon copy cloner »