New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Best G4 Tower for upgrades?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacMan886

MacMan886 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2012 Mini - 2.5GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 60GB OWC SSD, 500GB HD

Hey guys, just wondering what would be the best G4 tower for upgrading? I assuming a Quicksilver or MDD, correct? I'd like to pick up a G5 or Intel tower, but they are simply out of my budget (college kid).

I am figuring that a MDD is the best because they have a 167MHz system bus, but I hear that the MDD has power supply problems unless the front vent is kept clean, and it worries me to buy one knowing that the vent could have never been cleaned. I've tried looking for a G5 locally, but even 1.6 ones run $350-$400.

I had a QS 2002 tower... it was a 800MHz but I loved it, but my 1.42 eMac is far quicker than it ever was.

-William
Late 2012 Mini - 2.5GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 60GB OWC SSD, 500GB HD
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

If you're looking to upgrade a G4 tower, the price is probably going to cost more than just buying a G5 in the long run. Processor upgrades for the G4 cost upwards of $200-$500 just for a dual 1.6 GHz.

G4 Processor Upgrades by NewerTech® - MAXPower® for Power Mac® G4 Computers

That, and the G4 can only hold 2.0 GB of ram, not exactly a lot these days.

Overall, start checking ebay for some good deals, and try for a G5. Sometimes you can find them for a good price.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan886 View Post
I've tried looking for a G5 locally, but even 1.6 ones run $350-$400.
Don't bother trying to buy a G4 Powermac to upgrade. It just isn't worth it. When you buy a computer this old...you want to buy it with as many "goodies" as possible (as much ram, as much hard drive or multiple HD's, as fast a processor as possible, even PCI expansion cards).

One thing you don't want to do (other than bumping up the HD or ram)...is buy an old PM G4 and think about upgrading it. After you factor in the:

- purchase cost of the computer
- shipping cost (if shipped)
- then the cost of upgrades

...with the total cost of all this...you simply could have purchased a better computer.

As far as G5's. I see dual processor 1.8ghz Powermac G5's on e-Bay fairly often for around $250 (sometimes less). If the shipping is not too bad...you can certainly do better than $350-$400.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Even better look for a late 2005 Dual Core G5, a 2GHz or a 2.3GHz model, NOT the 2.5GHz liquid cooled model.

Dual Core's come with DDR2 memory and faster PCI-E graphic cards. Make sure it is a Dual Core and not a Dual Processors. G4's are finito!

Top of the line would be an Intel Mac Pro.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
MacMan886

MacMan886 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2012 Mini - 2.5GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 60GB OWC SSD, 500GB HD

Then, it's settled! No G4!

Maybe I'll wait until I have some more cash and look for a 2-2.3GHz Dual Core G5.

I don't game, so it wouldn't matter if it was newer or not.

-William
Late 2012 Mini - 2.5GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 60GB OWC SSD, 500GB HD
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan886 View Post
Then, it's settled! No G4!

Maybe I'll wait until I have some more cash and look for a 2-2.3GHz Dual Core G5.

I don't game, so it wouldn't matter if it was newer or not.
Just to confuse things further.. Once you save up enough $$$ to purchase a Powermac G5 (the dual 2.0ghz model doesn't cost much more than the dual 1.8ghz model)...but the dual 2.3 ghz model does command a bit of a premium price.

Once you have enough cash for a Powermac G5...you're really not that far from enough cash for an older Intel Mac-mini or even an older MacBook. Given the bunch of older Mac's you own...it appears that an Intel Mac (of any sort) is what your main goal should be...since you don't currently own an Intel Mac.

Just something to consider,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Meyvn

Meyvn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM

Have you considered:

A. Intel "Hackintosh"
B. Staying with your eMac until you can afford an early Intel iMac?

I ask because I really think you'll be a lot happier with the amount of an upgrade either of those would be over just going from a 1.4 GHz G4 to another G4 or G5. I just don't think you'll get as much of an increase in life or performance out of those machines as you're imagining you might. The G5 is already deprecated as far as Apple is concerned, and it's going to be even moreso in the next revision.

'cause when it rains, you know it pours.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The reason harry advised to stay away from the liquid cooled model is that the coolant has a bad habit of leaking and ruining the logic board. Not good.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Broken Keyboard | Macpro distorted lines freeze on boot »