New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Kernel panic at boot from dvd/hdd and stuck on apple logo

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kaspermathias

Kaspermathias is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I have a weird problem. Yesterday I shut down my iMac normally. When i turned it on this morning it wouldn't get past the Apple boot logo. The load indicator was spinning and then froze. I can hear that OSX started fine and I can even control the music with the keyboard, but the image is still stock on Apple logo and a frozen load indicator.

I reset the PRAM (holding down Command, Option, P, and R on startup) - didn't change anything.
I have tried starting it up in safe mode - no luck.
I've tried single user and fsyk command to verify and repair the disk - no luck

I have backup, so I just thought of formatting the hdd and re-installing OSX, but everytime i load the OSX-DVD the kernel panics (I've tried both with a psychical DVD and a HDD-image of OSX, but kernel panic every time). So I'm not able to use the disc utility from boot disc either.

I have a boot camp partion with Windows 7 and I have no problem booting into that and everything seems to be running fine.

Can anybody help me?

I should mention, that I just had my video-card replaced 2 weeks ago.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Have you still got the old video card? If so replace the new with the old. If the problem goes away then it is the video card and you should get it replaced, the card should be under warranty still???

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Kaspermathias

hi Buzzard2010,

No, i haven't got the old videocard. The shop kept it, when they fixed it.

Do you believe the problem lies with the video card, when my windows 7 boot camp partition works fine?

Kaspermathias
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice

It could be the startup video configuration in OSX that is conflicting with it and not booting properly. The windows side may be starting just fine because it isn't having any conflicts.
So short answer Yes I do believe it's the card.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Kaspermathias

hi Simon,

I believe your right. Just checked device manager in windows and the device status for my geforce 8800 GS is: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".

My iMac is old, so its not under warranty, but my brand new video card must be. It is an authorized Apple repair shop, so they must grant some guaranties for their work...

Thank you for your replies
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Yeah they will definitely have a product warranty, even if you bought it, put it in yourself and it's not compatible they should still give you your money back or a replacement.

-Simon

May 2011
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac (Intel Early 2006 Core Duo) very slow.. | looking at an imac g4, emac etc for my 4 yo »