New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Noob Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Clayson

Clayson is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz 500GB HD; iPhone 3GS 32GB

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I just brought home a new 21.5" iMac today (and LOVING IT!), and I transferred all of my music, movies, and photos from my external hard drive to my mac before setting it up for Time Machine. I set up another account, but all of my stuff isn't there. How do I transfer all of my stuff from one account to another?! Oh, and how do I mess with the Time Machine settings (how frequently it backs up)? Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

For changing your Time Machine settings try TimeMachineEditor
Works for me.

Do you want to move your 'stuff' or copy it? You could just drag the stuff to an external and back or drag it into the public folder, log into the new user and drag it from the public folder back into place

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Clayson

ok, thanks. Is there any way I can quickly switch between users?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you have to enable it in System preferences. Once down you click the username in the menu bar.

Apple KB Article refers

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Clayson

The reason I asked about the hard drive is because it said I already used about 30GB within the first day(!), is that normal?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Not sure what you mean. Can't see what you were asking about hard disks?

QUOTE Thanks
Clayson

I realize now that it doesn't matter how often I back it up, but I originally wanted to back it up less often because within the day that i had it, it had already taken up almost 30GB of space. Is that normal?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Time machine initially backs up you whole machine. From then on it's incremental. So if your Mac is using 30gb of disk space then that's how much space the time machine back up will take (this may differ a little due to any exclusions, and a few system files that are included).

From here on in it's incremental so it really depends on how much new or changed data you have

QUOTE Thanks
Clayson

Right, so the way i use the computer, it could be as small as KB's?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

It's more likely to be MBs but yes. The less data added to your Mac the less there is to back up.

I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. For time machine I'd recommend a disk that's at least as big as your Mac disk. Plug in in and let it do it's thing.

Don't let it skew the way you use your Mac

QUOTE Thanks
Clayson

Yeah, I'm sorry, MB's. Today is not my day...
QUOTE Thanks
Clayson

How do I get my MagicPrefs to open every time I log in to my account?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

It should load by default. If not, go to sys prefs - accounts - choose your user and go to login items. Hit the + to add an app to startup

QUOTE Thanks
Clayson

Sweet, thanks for all your help and patience.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Here's some information about how Time Machine operates that might help. It lists some files and folders that most users can exclude from their Time Machine backups. ATPM 15.03 - How To: Time Travel: Introduction to Time Machine. There Have been some changes since I wrote that but the essentials are still the same.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Automator loop help..? | Firefox keeps talking to me »