New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Clean imac G4 with glass cleaner??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Familyguy9877

Familyguy9877 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2008 Mac Pro 3,1: 3.2Ghz octo

I have an iMac G4 17" with sticker goop all around the outer bezel of the display can i use glass cleaner on this or goo gone or what? i dont think that glass cleaner would work because the bezel is plexy glass right?

any knowledgeable suggestions appreciated

-Eddie
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I always like to start with the least aggressive cleaner first...which would be a paper towel moistened with warm water. Then I try adding a little soap...then I go with the glass cleaner.

If I use the glass cleaner...I work quickly...then I use a damp towel (with only water) to wipe off any residual glass cleaner (just in case).

It's a conservative approach which minimizes any nasty/undesirable reactions with the plastic.

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Familyguy9877

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I always like to start with the least aggressive cleaner first...which would be a paper towel moistened with warm water. Then I try adding a little soap...then I go with the glass cleaner.

If I use the glass cleaner...I work quickly...then I use a damp towel (with only water) to wipe off any residual glass cleaner (just in case).

It's a conservative approach which minimizes any nasty/undesirable reactions with the plastic.

HTH,

- Nick

Is there any other way that i could do it that you know of because the crap is being really stubborn and doesn't even want to come off with glass cleaner.

do you think goo gone is to abrasive?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyguy9877 View Post
Is there any other way that i could do it that you know of because the crap is being really stubborn and doesn't even want to come off with glass cleaner.

do you think goo gone is to abrasive?
Usually I don't like to use anything that contains acetone (found in nail polish remover). I'm also very careful with cleaners that contain alcohol or ammonia (which is found in most glass cleaners).

If I try a cleaner that I'm not sure of...it's best to test it in an inconspicuous area (to see if anything "funky" happens)...and that's when I use the damp towel to wipe immediately after...so no residual cleaner is left on the surface to continue any possible reaction.

As far as Goo-Gone. It's not that it's "abrasive" (abrasive has to do with friction or "grittiness")...it's if it has anything in it that may react with the plastic. I think that Goo-Gone would probably be ok...just have that damp paper towel to use to wipe the area off immediately after using the Goo-Gone (just in case).

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Familyguy9877

goo gone is the way to go i tried it and at least for now it has no marks or anything
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
goo gone is the way to go i tried it and at least for now it has no marks or anything
Good deal!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Familyguy9877

YES i have just finished the entire thing and it put up a fight but with a goo gone and a lot of scrubbing presto! it looks brand new Thanks again Nick

-Eddie
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
YES i have just finished the entire thing and it put up a fight but with a goo gone and a lot of scrubbing presto! it looks brand new Thanks again Nick

-Eddie
You're welcome...good job!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Yes Ive used goo gone to clean whole computers with out any issues. Just dont over load it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Headless Mini questions | eMac - Video mirroring? »