New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Mini

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wirewiz

wirewiz is on a distinguished road

I am a PC user who longs to switch to Mac. I have the opportunity to purchase a Mac Mini with these specs:
1.5 GHZ
512 GB of Memory
60 GB hard drive
OS 10.5.8

I was hoping that someone who is knowledgeable about Mac could let me know whether or not this is a good computer.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

It's 5-6 yrs old - it could be a PPC processor or an Intel - probably the first Intel Core Solo.

It'd probably be ok for a first Mac, just to get a feel of OS X to see if you like it, if you can get it for $200 - $250 would really be stretching it's value imho.. I wouldn't give any more than that for it - don't care how much they're selling for.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
wirewiz

I was really excited I found Mac Mini, 17 in. monitor, wireless Keyboard, and wireless mouse for $300. But I really don't want to buy an outdated computer.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
I
It'd probably be ok for a first Mac, just to get a feel of OS X to see if you like it, if you can get it for $200 - $250 would really be stretching it's value imho.. I wouldn't give any more than that for it - don't care how much they're selling for.
Believe it or not...I got a 1.5ghz Mac-Mini a couple months ago for $50 (but this was an incredible deal).

@wirewiz: I probably wouldn't go any higher than $125-$150 for the Mac-Mini...then add on top of that any extra $$$ for the monitor, wireless mouse, and wireless keyboard. Depending on the brands of the extras...I could see going $200-$225 for everything.

FYI...the 1.5ghz Mac-mini is the fastest non-Intel Mac-mini.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

While you're looking for a used Mac - check out everymac.com for release / discontinued dates and the specs for the machine.

I'd try to use Mac2Sell.net for rough valuation - to me they're pretty much on the mark for what I'd be willing to pay. And you have to realize, a lot of Mac people think their old Macs are worth a lot more than they really are.

Where I am here in Dallas, people would be asking $400 for that 5 yr old computer and $600 with a monitor - it's crazy. I've checked Craigslist with prety high regularity for almost 2 years here and have yet to find a used machine at a price I'd pay for it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post

Where I am here in Dallas, people would be asking $400 for that 5 yr old computer and $600 with a monitor - it's crazy. I've checked Craigslist with prety high regularity for almost 2 years here and have yet to find a used machine at a price I'd pay for it.
Craig's List in my area has sort of gone "crazy" as well. Many used models that sold for a lot less last Summer all of a sudden in the past 2-3 months have increased in price greatly.

My guess/theory is (just like e-Bay when it was young 10 years ago)...is that too many "professional" sellers are getting involved on Craig's List...and that's driving the prices higher. Individual sellers see what the "Pro's" are asking for their computers...and so the individuals ask for the same high price.

The problem with Craig's List is...you don't know what the final negotiated price is for an item (or if the item ever sells). So some sellers will be flexible with their price...and others will be firm (because they think their price is fair) when in reality it's not...they're just following the crowd (other ads on CL).

At least on e-Bay when the auction ends...you know what it sold for (assuming the buyer/high bidder follows thru with payment).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
wirewiz

Thanks so much for your input guys. My wife has a family member who is selling two of these Minis ( identical setups ) and I was so eager to have a Mac I almost immediately told them I'd get them. I decided to get online and found this forum, so again thanks for the knowledge.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Intel iMac Kernel Panic! Please help! | MacPro 32" display goes black »