New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Intel iMac (2006) power cuts out - PSU?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Leggie

Leggie is on a distinguished road

Hi guys and girls,

A friend's iMac has been playing up by randomly cutting out. I opened it up, with difficulty, because I wondered if the capacitors were shot; I can't seem to see any obvious damage, however.

Is this a known problem? I wondered if it was the PSU and have taken some photos, visible here.

The display also won't come on - I'm not sure if it was due to my fiddling with it or not - anything obvious I might check?

Thanks,

Leggie
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

It is possible that the power supply is gone. That would explain the random cut outs.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Unless my eyes are failing me, you've got coil leakage around the poly capacitors on the other side of the filter. It could be the way you took the photos but it appears something got hot at one time. That machine is going on 5 years old so it may not be worth putting a lot of money into.
QUOTE Thanks
Leggie

Thanks for the replies.

@chscag: Afraid I don't know enough to identify the poly capacitors - which are they, and might it be worth replacing those capacitors?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Take a look at photo number 4. The yellow transformer closest to the bottom of the photo (next to yellow coil with red stripes) looks like it overheated at one time and has leaked. Notice the black sticky like stuff on top and the sides.

The shiny poly capacitors (there are two) are close by. Replacing those capacitors or any other component on that board is probably not going to fix the problem. The entire PS should be replaced because damage may have been inflicted on other components. Like I said above, I wouldn't spend too much money on repairs for a machine that old. If you can get hold of another machine for parts (in other words, cheap) then it may be worth it. Check on eBay.
QUOTE Thanks
Leggie

Thanks for all the help. Probably won't be worth spending much time trying to save it, in light of what's been said.

Thanks again,

Leggie
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac G4 20" (USB 2.0) will not turn on | Please help - square wont leave desktop! »